Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nar Karapetyan <na...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/27 09:13:36 UTC

Downloading issues in IE via https

Hello,

the issue I encounter might not directly be related with Tomcat. However if anyone hase a clue
of how can I overcome that, I'd like to learn it.

The thing is that when I connect to my web page via https, IE7 hints a message that the certificate
is not error free, but I am able to explore the site without any difficulties. FF does not report any issues
related with the certificate.

However, when I try to download a file I receive the following IE error message (also attached the jpg screenshot).

"Internet Explorer cannot download downloadFile.action from localhost.
Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please
try again later"

But if I choose Open instead of Save - this will work fine.

Any clue of what could be the problem?
Any web pages about this are welcome.

Thank you,
Kind regards,Nareg Garabedian

Re: Downloading issues in IE via https

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Nar Karapetyan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the issue I encounter might not directly be related with Tomcat. However if anyone hase a clue
> of how can I overcome that, I'd like to learn it.
>
> The thing is that when I connect to my web page via https, IE7 hints a message that the certificate
> is not error free, but I am able to explore the site without any difficulties. FF does not report any issues
> related with the certificate.
>
> However, when I try to download a file I receive the following IE error message (also attached the jpg screenshot).
>
> "Internet Explorer cannot download downloadFile.action from localhost.
> Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please
> try again later"
>
> But if I choose Open instead of Save - this will work fine.
>
> Any clue of what could be the problem?
> Any web pages about this are welcome.

I haven't a clue really.
Maybe there is a link between the fact that this is HTTPS, or with the
earlier certificate-related message.
But then also, it would not be the first time that a browser does
something strange or non-standard (and IE has some history behind it in
that respect).
But obviously, since "open" and "save" in IE get different results,
there must be something different happening in each case.

The best way to start with such issues is normally to put some mechanism
on your server to see what the browser *really* sends to the server.
I think in Tomcat the RequestDumper Valve would probably help.

It may also help to see exactly what the browser is sending and
receiving in terms of requests/responses and HTTP headers.
For Firefox, there is a useful add-on called LiveHttpHeaders to do that.
For IE, I don't know.
There is also something I often hear mentioned but do not know myself,
called WireShark (?), which seems to be a program allowing to see the
entire conversation back and forth.

Re: Downloading issues in IE via https

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Nar Karapetyan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the issue I encounter might not directly be related with Tomcat. However if anyone hase a clue
> of how can I overcome that, I'd like to learn it.
>
> The thing is that when I connect to my web page via https, IE7 hints a message that the certificate
> is not error free, but I am able to explore the site without any difficulties. FF does not report any issues
> related with the certificate.
>
> However, when I try to download a file I receive the following IE error message (also attached the jpg screenshot).
>
> "Internet Explorer cannot download downloadFile.action from localhost.
> Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please
> try again later"
>
> But if I choose Open instead of Save - this will work fine.
>
> Any clue of what could be the problem?
> Any web pages about this are welcome.

Maybe this?
http://markmail.org/message/mpu2xk7xg2ultr6p