Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Joe D. Williams" <jo...@mindspring.com> on 2004/05/09 16:20:03 UTC

Newbie: Tomcat installation documentation

I would like to use Lenya (maybe) to edit my own website and explore the
wonderful world of open source CMS. Currently, my website runs Cocoon 2.1.4
on Tomcat 4.1.27, so I am not completely lost regarding that particular
piece of the puzzle.

However, the Lenya installation has proved way too difficult for me. I am
not a developer, nor do I want to be. However, I think if Cocoon and Lenya,
among other open source tools, could be made accessible for
less-than-technically-adept users if some of us are willing to take the pain
to bridge the gap between those groups.

Anyhow, I downloaded the latest binary and the README suggested I read the
install.txt file. There was no install.txt file. So, I looked at the
install.txt file in CVS. For Tomcat installation, it says to drop the war
file into the webapps directory and no worries. However, there is no war
file, nor clear instructions on how to create one.

So, while I have been able to launch Lenya using the included version of
Jetty, I will have to get an instance working that I can FTP to my webapp
provider as a war file. I would be glad to help develop instructions on
doing so, if someone wanted to take the responsibility of providing the
information.

Thanks.

Re: Newbie: Tomcat installation documentation

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Joe D. Williams wrote:
> I would like to use Lenya (maybe) to edit my own website and explore the
> wonderful world of open source CMS. Currently, my website runs Cocoon 2.1.4
> on Tomcat 4.1.27, so I am not completely lost regarding that particular
> piece of the puzzle.
>
> However, the Lenya installation has proved way too difficult for me. I am
> not a developer, nor do I want to be. However, I think if Cocoon and Lenya,
> among other open source tools, could be made accessible for
> less-than-technically-adept users if some of us are willing to take the pain
> to bridge the gap between those groups.
>
> Anyhow, I downloaded the latest binary and the README suggested I read the
> install.txt file. There was no install.txt file. So, I looked at the
> install.txt file in CVS. For Tomcat installation, it says to drop the war
> file into the webapps directory and no worries. However, there is no war
> file, nor clear instructions on how to create one.
>
> So, while I have been able to launch Lenya using the included version of
> Jetty, I will have to get an instance working that I can FTP to my webapp
> provider as a war file. I would be glad to help develop instructions on
> doing so, if someone wanted to take the responsibility of providing the
> information.
>
> Thanks.

Hello Joe,

the bin is provided for the group of people you mentioned. If you use
windows or linux you can successfully see lenya through jetty.

We are aware that installing and using lenya can be quite difficult in
the beginning and believe us we are working hard to change that someday.

...if you wish a war that you can upload to your provider the best
option would be to download the source and compile it yourself.
http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/installation/source_version.html

...or if you happy with uploading a dir than you can
PATH_TO_LENYA/\Lenya\build\lenya\webapp upload that dir to your server.
If you wish (and I recommend that) rename "webapp" to "lenya".

P.S.: As soon you want to edit your own existing pub with lenya you will
have to become a wee bit of a developer (so far). Sorry, but at the
moment it is like that.

HTH
King regards
Thorsten