Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/02 12:02:22 UTC

Re: business process engine source donation

Hi Cory,

just been walking through the code - looks very well put together -
this will really enhance Apache ServiceMix - so I hope will quickly
be accepted!

cheers,

Rob

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2 Feb 2006, at 12:52, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Sorry to be a PITA but can someone explain to me the connection
> between
> a JBI impl and a BPEL engine??

JBI is the JSR approved standard API to integration components and an
ESB container is the standard container model for a BPE; so it makes
sense to work on a BPE in conjunction with a JBI container and
component framework along with the JBI community at Apache
(ServiceMix) to ensure they all work nicely together. I'm sure other
projects can reuse the resulting code; just like I'm sure other
projects can use the JBI container etc. (e.g. the JBI container could
be embedded inside Synapse or Tuscany or even Axis).

> Why would this not fit better within that project, just as
> Twister was made to become part of that?

Given the completed state of the BPE code and the symbiotic nature of
the JBI project and BPE I don't see a big need to put this BPE within
an incubating umbrella project of other in-development workflow engines.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: business process engine source donation

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,

I sent the email 3 times (I think) - I'm having problems seeing email
from gmail - so it didn't look like it was getting through - so
apologies foe all my luv :)

ServiceMix is an ESB - which just happens to be based around a JBI
Container.  Although the market definition is loose and fast for an
ESB, there is growing consensus that ESB's require a business process
engine. If you couple this with JBI being a good container for BPEL -
then  ServiceMix seems the obvious place for this donation to go if
accepted.

If you've looked at the proposed donated code, this BPEL engine is
complete, I can't see any sense in combining it with something else ?

cheers,

Rob

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,