Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/04/05 20:06:51 UTC

Re: Mentors and members (was: Re: Mentors On IPMC [WAS Re: [Vote] RCF proposal

On Apr 5, 2007, at 10:53 AM, Martin Sebor wrote:

> Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> Well,
>> incubator policy is able to contradict itself on one and the same
>> page:
>
> FWIW, the two statements aren't contradictory. "At least one"
> doesn't imply "not all." The second requirement is simply a
> strengthening of the first one ;-)

I hate to be a stickler here, but the second statement does say that
"A Mentor is... a permanent member of the [ASF]. I'd like to see
member capitalized to indicate that it is a "defined term" but to me
it's clear that the second statement requires that Mentors be Members
and the first does not.

But I think the main point is that the IPMC needs to decide whether
all or just at least one Mentor must be a Member.

Craig

> I do agree that the text could be worded better.
>
> Martin
>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
>> [...]
>> Acceptance By Incubator
>> [...]
>> * the Mentors, nominated by the Sponsor, who will guide the Candidate
>> through the Incubation Process. At least one nominated Mentor MUST
>> be a
>> member of the Apache Software Foundation.
>> [...]
>> Roles Defined
>>  Mentor
>> [...]
>> A Mentor is a role undertaken by a permanent member of the Apache
>> Software Foundation and is chosen by the Sponsor to actively lead
>> in the
>> discharge of their duties (listed above).
>> [...]
>> So what is it? A mentor must be a member or at least one mentor
>> must be
>> a member? 	Confused
>> 		Henning

>>> yes but prospective mentors need not be
>>>
>>> AIUI mentors must be members and should be drafted onto the IPMC by
>>> the proposal motion
>>>
>>> - robert

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com