Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org> on 2016/11/23 14:08:30 UTC

JSON License and Apache Projects

As some of you may know, recently the JSON License has been
moved to Category X (https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x).

I understand that this has impacted some projects, especially
those in the midst of doing a release. I also understand that
up until now, really, there has been no real "outcry" over our
usage of it, especially from end-users and other consumers of
our projects which use it.

As compelling as that is, the fact is that the JSON license
itself is not OSI approved and is therefore not, by definition,
an "Open Source license" and, as such, cannot be considered as
one which is acceptable as related to categories.

Therefore, w/ my VP Legal hat on, I am making the following
statements:

  o No new project, sub-project or codebase, which has not
    used JSON licensed jars (or similar), are allowed to use
    them. In other words, if you haven't been using them, you
    aren't allowed to start. It is Cat-X.

  o If you have been using it, and have done so in a *release*,
    AND there has been NO pushback from your community/eco-system,
    you have a temporary exclusion from the Cat-X classification thru
    April 30, 2017. At that point in time, ANY and ALL usage
    of these JSON licensed artifacts are DISALLOWED. You must
    either find a suitably licensed replacement, or do without.
    There will be NO exceptions.

  o Any situation not covered by the above is an implicit
    DISALLOWAL of usage.

Also please note that in the 2nd situation (where a temporary
exclusion has been granted), you MUST ensure that NOTICE explicitly
notifies the end-user that a JSON licensed artifact exists. They
may not be aware of it up to now, and that MUST be addressed.

If there are any questions, please ask on the legal-discuss@a.o
list.

--
Jim Jagielski
VP Legal Affairs

Fwd: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
FYI. Official statement from VP Legal regarding use of json.org <http://json.org/> licensed code.

-Taylor

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Jena does not use code with the JSON License so this is just FYI.

jsonld-java uses com.fasterxml.jackson

Some organisations treat the "not be used for evil" clause as not
material; some organisations, Debian and Google, for instance, don't
allow its use.

https://opensource.org/ does not classify it as an Open Source license.

	Andy

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
dsl-json seems to be fast, and the license seems to be compatible (BSD
3-Clause).
However, this is a quite new project, which is java-8 oriented AFAICS.
I guess the JSON library we will choose should be java 1.5, 6, 7 & 8
compatible...

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Martin,

sadly there are classes not covered by open-json, but for all others we could make different PRs for 6.x and 7.x and copy them. In this case I would suggest to also let the name of JSONFunction to be like I renamed it.

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Tobias,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Try Apache Johnzon.

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Apache legal have decided that the JSON license is now category X (i.e. we can’t use it). This is a reverse from previous guidance. I don’t believe that we use (directly or indirectly) any JSON-licensed components, but if we do, please speak up and log an issue.

Julian

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@apache.org>.
Dear community,
     We have informed there's JSON license issue which every project has to
resolve it.
     Please help to double check if our project directly depends on that
one, and if our dependencies rely on it.
     Let's try to upgrade/replace any library to one without such issue in
our coming releases.

     More detail, please check below mail from legal.

    Thanks.
Luke

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 23 November 2016 at 16:21, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>> BTW, has anybody approached json.org to see if they would change their
>> license?
> I've met with Doug personally many times, and discussed this very
> topic.  I don't expect him to change his position.

He occasionally grant an extra license like "I give permission to
$company, its customers, partners and minions, to use this software
for evil".  Not sure we would want one like that for ASF.. :-))

This youtube link was shared earlier, showing his reasoning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hCimLnIsDA

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Nov 23, 2016, at 11:21 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>

>> BTW, has anybody approached json.org to see if they would change their
>> license?
>
> I've met with Doug personally many times, and discussed this very
> topic.  I don't expect him to change his position.

Heh... same here. I expect he is weary of people asking :)

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Contacting the maintainer might help.

Otherwise, as you say, caveat emptor.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

From: Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>

That source code is purely a pom that packages up the original json.org<http://json.org> code. It has no source code whatsoever. The README says just this and inspection of the src/ directory shows no additional or modified content.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I already got a response that the fix has been published and is propagating.  I will try to remember to verify.

From: Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>>
Date: Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>

I will contact him.

From: "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>>
Date: Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 5:28 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>

The guy who published it is a committer/PMC member on Zest.  Though I do agree, its generally not a valid release.

John

From: Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>

From: Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

From: Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
<ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> MIT is OSI certified, compatible with the GPL, and category A.
>>
>> The JSON license is not OSI certified, not compatible with the GPL,
>> and (now) category X.
>
> Yep no disagreement from me there.
>
> I should of said it’s based of the text of the MIT license plus the “Do good not evil bit” which it probably why the pom states MIT.

All apples are fruit, but not all fruit are apples.

Religions, Species, and Software Licenses are all examples of
categories where having a "common ancestor" doesn't mean that two
instances of the superclass are compatible.

The POM is misleading to the point of being unhelpful and incorrect.

> Thanks,
> Justin

- Sam Ruby

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Justin Mclean
<ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Are the maven coordinates org.json?  Does that mean that this link [1]
>> which implies ALv2 and MIT licensing is incorrect?
>
> It’s modified MIT so MIT is sort of right.

MIT is OSI certified, compatible with the GPL, and category A.

The JSON license is not OSI certified, not compatible with the GPL,
and (now) category X.

> The pom contains:
>     <licenses>
>         <license>
>             <name>MIT</name>
>             <url>http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT</url>
>             <distribution>repo</distribution>
>             <comments>The software shall be used for good, not evil.</comments>
>         </license>
>     </licenses>

The POM is incorrect.

> But the full license text is here. [1]
>
> Also interesting to note FSF consider it non free [2]
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. http://www.json.org/license.html
> 2. http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/License:JSON

- Sam Ruby

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

[1] https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.codeartisans/org.json

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 11/23/16, 7:26 AM, "Paul Libbrecht" <pa...@hoplahup.net> wrote:
>
>>On 23 Nov 2016, at 16:10, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>>> Something can't be called Open Source unless it is, well, Open Source
>>> and OSI (and the FSF) are the ones who determine what is and is not.
>>
>>I’ve seen lawyers dispute the OSI right to define that a license is an
>>open-source license.
>>
>>I agree with Sam that we should claim that the foundation has deemed it
>>not open-source and not that OSI has, and maybe assert that the reason
>>was non-verifiability.
>
> I thought the reason was the "no evil" clause.  Why can't we say that that
> clause was too open to interpretation to be meet the ASF requirement of
> "brain-dead easy to consume"?

Concurring with OSI's conclusion on this one license is indeed the correct path.

I agree with Paul that no corporation or foundation should abdicate
their role and responsibility for evaluating licenses.  That being
said, I do believe that OSI is a source that we should consult with
and weigh heavily.

> BTW, has anybody approached json.org to see if they would change their
> license?

I've met with Doug personally many times, and discussed this very
topic.  I don't expect him to change his position.

> -Alex

- Sam Ruby

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Nov 23, 2016, at 10:26 AM, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net> wrote:
>

> On 23 Nov 2016, at 16:10, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>> Something can't be called Open Source unless it is, well, Open Source
>> and OSI (and the FSF) are the ones who determine what is and is not.
>
> I’ve seen lawyers dispute the OSI right to define that a license is an open-source license.
>
> I agree with Sam that we should claim that the foundation has deemed it not open-source and not that OSI has, and maybe assert that the reason was non-verifiability.

I stand by what I say. If we want to say we concur w/ OSI, that's fine.
But I refuse to imply that the ASF is a definer of what is,
and is not, Open Source. Period.

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
On 23 Nov 2016, at 16:10, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
> Something can't be called Open Source unless it is, well, Open Source
> and OSI (and the FSF) are the ones who determine what is and is not.

I’ve seen lawyers dispute the OSI right to define that a license is an open-source license.

I agree with Sam that we should claim that the foundation has deemed it not open-source and not that OSI has, and maybe assert that the reason was non-verifiability.

Paul

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 23, 2016, at 9:59 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> As compelling as that is, the fact is that the JSON license
>>> itself is not OSI approved and is therefore not, by definition,
>>> an "Open Source license" and, as such, cannot be considered as
>>> one which is acceptable as related to categories.
>>
>> Just a small note, the WTFPL is not OSI approved.  While I agree with
>> the recategorization of the JSON license; and the fact that we should
>> take into consideration the evaluation of what OSI and others make of
>> licenses; I don't think we should gate any of our decisions on an
>> external entity.
>
> Something can't be called Open Source unless it is, well, Open Source
> and OSI (and the FSF) are the ones who determine what is and is not.
>
> Again, this comes down to the basic tenet that we want consumption and
> usage of ASF projects to be as "brain dead easy" as possible. By having
> a non-OSI license in there, it encourages the legal dept to get
> involved, which disrupts that "easy as possible" meme.

Should the WTFPL be reclassified then?

- Sam Ruby

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Yes, please forward - although this thread has not yet shown up in the
archive at:

https://lists.apache.org/list.html?legal-discuss@apache.org

There's a corresponding private legal list which should NOT be
forwarded from and should be used for confidential cases:
legal-internal@apache.org

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Yes. It is also on board@ so all PMC chairs should now
be aware of this!

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
OK,

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Looking at

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Looking at

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
We do not depend on it but use a copy of it:
https://github.com/apache/wicket/tree/master/wicket-core/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/ajax/json

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
In case it is about this: org.json:json:jar:20090211 libarary
I'm afraid wicketstuff is affected

Could you please confirm it is about this library?

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> FYI: the json.org library for parsing and generating JSON documents
> is now category X, which means it is prohibited from being included
> in Apache releases.
>
> As far as I know we are not exposed, but we should be diligent and
> make note of this and replace if we do have a (transitive)
> dependency.
>
> The issue is the "don't use this for evil" clause, that makes it hard to
> get past legal departments without any issue. The license is also not
> approved by the OSI, and therefore moved to the category X.
>
> Martijn

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
(cc board@ so PMC chairs are included)

Thanks Jim for providing decisive, actionable guidance on the issue. Affected PMCs now have unambiguous paths forward for addressing the issue.

If Jim has no objections, I'd encourage PMC Chairs to forward this to their respective dev@ lists, whether affected or not. It's a good reminder of both the importance and difficulties of OSS licensing. It would also serve as a reminder of why the legal*@ lists exist and encourage more individuals to follow those discussions.

-Taylor

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
We need to check we are not using org.json as the JSON.org license has
been verified as NOT open source.

See below from Legal VP - tl;dr: "The Software shall be used for Good,
not Evil." is an ambiguous restriction of use!

It seems org.json is used in taverna-mobile -- possibly through the
Apache-licensed clean-room implementation of org.json (part of Android
SDK I believe),  but that needs to be verified:

./incubator-taverna-mobile/app/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/mobile/utils/WorkflowDB.java:import
org.json.JSONArray;
./incubator-taverna-mobile/app/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/mobile/utils/WorkflowDB.java:import
org.json.JSONException;
./incubator-taverna-mobile/app/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/mobile/utils/WorkflowDB.java:import
org.json.JSONObject;

(..)

./incubator-taverna-common-activities/taverna-interaction-activity/src/main/resources/json2.js
is also from json.org - but it has a permissive Public Domain license
(which has other issues) but otherwise is OK.
(as mentioned in LICENSE for incubator-taverna-common-activities)

(If you found the JSON license funny - see here:

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Since 'OpenSSL+RSA license' is not in any way part of
this discussion, I have no idea what you are referring
to.

If you have a specific question, then please ask.

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
[Note private/public x-post]