Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by sunil kaza <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/02 20:48:21 UTC

HIVE - Incremental Data Issue

Hi Team,

I am beginner and have few questions pertaining to HIVE DB.

How does HIVE handle incremental data load. If yes, could you please share
few examples of it?

--
Thanks and Regards

Sunilkaza

Re: HIVE - Incremental Data Issue

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.
1. you can use "insert into <table> select .." to insert new data to the
table (or partition)

2. you can put new file(s) to the table folder (on hdfs) in appropriate
format to insert new data
better to run "analyze table <table> compute statistics" after  that (to
update row count and file size in metastore. metadata is used by optimizer
to build query plan)

3. you can "LOAD DATA [LOCAL] INPATH" to copy local or hdfs file(s) to
table (or to partition)
same as option 2 but it will create new partition if necessary