Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by simon brown <si...@greatgiftsandtoys.co.uk> on 2013/09/04 09:24:22 UTC

Problem installing alongside libreoffice in linux mint 15

Hi

I am trying to install open office on a latest linux mint copy,
alongside libreoffice.  The reason is that I have a libreoffice calc bug
to do with .xlsx compatibility, and I want to see if your equivalent
will get round this.

Unfortunately I cannot get it to install.  Your instructions refer
obliquely to needing to resolve a soffice symlink, without including
details on just how to do it.  I have now wasted nearly 2 hours trying
to do this, and am now giving up.  All the packages install fine, except
the desktop integration, which complains that there is a package
conflict with /usr/bin/soffice which is also in the libreoffice package.

I think that the entry on the wiki about resolving it is patronising and
smug, and highly annoying ("see your favourite reference for how to do
this").  If there is a known issue then please state the full workaround
in full detail.

What I find most surprising, perhaps, is that I can't find any
instructions on how to run the components from the command line
anywhere, or even details on just where the executables get put. This
leaves me with nowhere to go if the desktop integration step fouls up,
as it has.

regards

Simon

Re: Please ignore earlier message

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
simon brown wrote:
> Sorry about earlier grumpy message, I had no idea that this was a
> mailing list - certainly did not appear that way on the support web
> page I found it on.

Which support web page was that?

Please ignore earlier message

Posted by simon brown <si...@greatgiftsandtoys.co.uk>.
Sorry about earlier grumpy message, I had no idea that this was a
mailing list - certainly did not appear that way on the support web page
I found it on.

Regards

Simon

Re: Problem installing alongside libreoffice in linux mint 15

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.
On Tuesday 03 September 2013 23:24:22 you wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to install open office on a latest linux mint copy,
> alongside libreoffice.  The reason is that I have a libreoffice calc
> bug to do with .xlsx compatibility, and I want to see if your
> equivalent will get round this.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot get it to install.  Your instructions refer
> obliquely to needing to resolve a soffice symlink, without including
> details on just how to do it.  I have now wasted nearly 2 hours
> trying to do this, and am now giving up.  All the packages install
> fine, except the desktop integration, which complains that there is a
> package conflict with /usr/bin/soffice which is also in the
> libreoffice package.
>
> I think that the entry on the wiki about resolving it is patronising
> and smug, and highly annoying ("see your favourite reference for how
> to do this").  If there is a known issue then please state the full
> workaround in full detail.
>
> What I find most surprising, perhaps, is that I can't find any
> instructions on how to run the components from the command line
> anywhere, or even details on just where the executables get put. This
> leaves me with nowhere to go if the desktop integration step fouls
> up, as it has.
>
> regards
>
> Simon

I use Debian Wheezy, Mint should be the same. From the wiki

Use the 'whereis' is command to find the executable or symlink is
located:

pabi@tdewheezy:~$ whereis soffice
soffice: /usr/bin/soffice /usr/bin/X11/soffice

I use 'ls -l' command to find if the executable is a symlink, it is.
You can see fron the output of "ls -l" that AOO is installed into
the 'opt' dir. It would be possible to run the 'soffice' directly
from "/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice"

pabi@tdewheezy:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/soffice
root root  /usr/bin/soffice -> /opt/openoffice4/program/soffice

The reason for this is Libreofice is a fork of Openoffice, it changed
the name of the suite but kept the executables the same name. The
system can not have two programs using the same name using the same
system paths, ie. "/usr/bin" or "/usr/bin/X11". T

This is not the fault of AOO, the wiki is, imho, trying to make both
suites workable on the same machine...hence the awareness of the
symlink. Working with symlinks is system admin area of expertise. I
concur it is not something most users are familiar with. My thought is
the (see your favorite reference for how to do this) comment refers to
your favorite sys admin handbook or guide. Also the man page for "ln"
is available on every system.

In closing the wiki is a volunteer endeavor, it is editable, maybe it
will become clearer over time.

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Help:Contents

I don't use Mint and I do not run two suites together.
--
Peace,

Greg

Re: Problem installing alongside libreoffice in linux mint 15

Posted by Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net>.
Try this:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel

BTW, found it with google.

Regards

Posted by birgitte nielsen <bi...@hotmail.com>.
I think that this mail is sent to the wrong person

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Barmen <JO...@torconstruction.com>.
Simon,

Please note, I am a user, not a code writer, but I too had a problem loading the program onto my iMac. This may have been a function that the software isn't an "approved" vendor. Downloaded it twice the first day, then once the following day (after a nasty shock, upon booting up for the day the program wasn't visible, and I though all my work from the day before was lost). It now seems to be running just fine. I do shut down the software and anything I am working on, before shutting my computer down for the day.

Not sure if this helps, your problem may not be the same as mine. Good luck.

John Barmen