Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vernon A Webb <Ve...@net-nation.com> on 2002/01/09 19:05:04 UTC

FTP and CHMOD

I have noticed that when an ftp program is used to access
an ftp account that file within that account have certain
permissions. In the ftp program I am using I also have an
options to change those permissions using chmod, but when I
try to use it, I get an access denied error message. My
questions are as follows:

Is this by design and do I want to have it set that way for
security purposes? Is there any reason a web designer would
need to change those permission? I would imagine they do.

For instance I know on my Windows box I will not allow a
user to read files from a location where a database may be,
because I don't want them downloading that database. So I
would give that folder execute and write permissions, but
not read. It would seem that it would be a good thing to
give an ftp user the ability to do this since they might
have cause to do such a  thing, but on the other hand,
would that same user be able to upload a malicious file to
the server, like a Trojan horse, and execute it?