Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by William Marshall <wc...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/05 19:57:07 UTC

Edgent website analytics

Hi All,

In the interest of learning more about how users interact with the Edgent
site, I added a google analytics snippet to our landing and documentation
pages. This was hasty, and should have been discussed on the mailing list
first, so I have since backed out the changes.

I'd like to have a discussion about:
A) Should we include analytics on our site?
B) On what account should the data be stored, and how should access be
controlled?
C) Are there more general concerns? Dan brought up that both Apex and
Apache include privacy disclaimers and linked to this JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APEXCORE-553

It should have been discussed here first, and I apologize for committing
the changes without consulting the mailing list.

-Will

Re: Edgent website analytics

Posted by Samantha Chan <ch...@gmail.com>.
Will,

I created a quarks.edge@gmail.com account when we first started and hosted
the Google Hangout.  That's where the Google+ page is linked to.  You may
want to see if we can rename that account or migrate.  There are 49
followers on the Google+ page.

Thanks...
Samantha

Posted by William Marshall <wc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Justin & Dan.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dan Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
On 1/5/2017 12:11 PM, Dan Debrunner wrote:

> I'm not sure about how access to the data should be resolved. Does it
> matter if it's open to everyone?

Jackrabbit seemed to have an automated script for a while that made the
reports openly available:

https://jackrabbit.apache.org/analytics/

Dan.

Re: Edgent website analytics

Posted by Dan Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
On 1/5/2017 11:57 AM, William Marshall wrote:

> I'd like to have a discussion about:
> A) Should we include analytics on our site?
> B) On what account should the data be stored, and how should access be
> controlled?
> C) Are there more general concerns? Dan brought up that both Apex and
> Apache include privacy disclaimers and linked to this JIRA:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APEXCORE-553

Seems many Apache projects have Google Analytics and they all seem to
have a 'privacy-policy.html' at the root of their site.

I couldn't find any general guidance on the topic.

I'm +1 to adding Google Analytics with a privacy policy statement.