Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Anthony Glover <gl...@elmco.com> on 2004/05/21 20:16:47 UTC

Access Control and ViewCVS

I just got ViewCVS installed and was browsing my repository when I
noticed that my access controls that I had set up for Apache are being
ignored. I guess this makes sense since I am not using the Location
specified in my httpd.conf, but am instead using the viewcvs.cgi script
instead. Is there anyway to implement access controls such that even
"file:" access (which I'm assuming that viewcvs uses) is controlled?

Also, I'm not that familiar with ViewCVS...does it support checkout and
checkin of repositories?

Tony

Re: Access Control and ViewCVS

Posted by Anthony Glover <gl...@elmco.com>.
Thanks for the information. I didn't see anything in ViewCVS that would
support access control, but I just wasn't sure.
As far as a browser-based checkin/checkout, I guess that doesn't really
make much sense to begin with. Since there is essentially no working
directory, the browsing tool would need to play tricks like creating a
temporary workspace into which the upload would be accepted and then
committed. If this was a good idea, then I'm sure ViewCVS would have
implemented it long ago for CVS repositories.

Thanks,
Tony

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by David Waite <ma...@akuma.org>.
On May 21, 2004, at 2:16 PM, Anthony Glover wrote:

> I just got ViewCVS installed and was browsing my repository when I
> noticed that my access controls that I had set up for Apache are being
> ignored. I guess this makes sense since I am not using the Location
> specified in my httpd.conf, but am instead using the viewcvs.cgi
> script instead. Is there anyway to implement access controls such that
> even "file:" access (which I'm assuming that viewcvs uses) is
> controlled?

access controls for file:// cannot be implemented in a way worth
anything; if access control is only enforced by a software layer, that
software layer can be replaced or removed. The enforcement of access
controls needs to be out of the accessing user/process's control to
circumvent.

-David Waite