Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2018/11/26 12:15:26 UTC

Commit bit for sibling projects committers (was: [DISCUSS] Health checks contribution)

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 9:52 PM Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...As I said before, we don't typically have an issue with making people
> committers that want to continue maintaining contributions...

FWIW, an idea that I (vaguely) mentioned earlier is making the Felix
repositories writable for committers of "sibling projects". Felix
would give write access to all committers of OSGi-related Apache
projects, and define community rules for how people are expected to
use those commit rights. Rules like "feel free to fix non-core simple
things directly where test coverage makes things obvious, and discuss
everything else on list before committing".

We did that between Cocoon, Lenya and Forrest a while ago (well, 15
years maybe ;-) and it worked well. I shall be able to dig out more
info if desired, can't find it right now.

I'm not saying this needs to happen right now but wanted to mention
the idea - it might help make the non-core parts of Felix more dynamic
by getting more contributions from those "sibling" OSGi-related
projects as well as motivate people to bring modules here that are of
general use.

-Bertrand (who's not a PMC member here, so just making a suggestion
based on past experience)

Re: Commit bit for sibling projects committers

Posted by Georg Henzler <fe...@ghenzler.de>.
Hi,

On 2018-11-26 13:15, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 9:52 PM Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...As I said before, we don't typically have an issue with making
>> people
>> committers that want to continue maintaining contributions...
>
> FWIW, an idea that I (vaguely) mentioned earlier is making the Felix
> repositories writable for committers of "sibling projects". Felix
> would give write access to all committers of OSGi-related Apache
> projects, and define community rules for how people are expected to
> use those commit rights. Rules like "feel free to fix non-core simple
> things directly where test coverage makes things obvious, and discuss
> everything else on list before committing".

I think the main downside of this would be that having "sibling project
permissions" would not allow to create releases. At least for my part,
I would like to drive the module including creating releases for it.
Also
in the end it's probably just about 2-3 people (Betrand, I had just
assumed
that you already are a committer of in Felix but just noticed now that
you
aren't yet), while setting up the sibling approach would effectively add
43 three committers...

- Georg