Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by George Walsh <gj...@netscape.net> on 2003/04/03 20:43:39 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts; document root as seen from alocaluser account and from the internet

I really appreciate the trouble you are taking, Lee, really!

No, the default (main) server is 192.168.1.10.

The browser is either Galeon (I'm clearly a Gnome Man!) or Mozilla. Both respond the same way. On the external machine, Netscape7 is used.

Invoking telnet to 192.168.1.11:80 responds immediately, identifying www.cruiseroutes.com

After entering the GET and HOST commands, the correctindex page for the cruiseroutes site appears.

Regards,

"George"

>On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 13:13, George Walsh wrote:
>
>> For the record, nslookup -sil www.cruiseroutes.com reports:
>>
>> Server:   192.168.1.10
>> Address:  192.168.1.10#53
>>
>> Name:     www.cruiseroutes.com
>> Address:  192.168.1.11
>>
>> All of that is correct, yet if you try www.cruiseroutes.com you will be taken
>> to the ADVX index page which only exists in the main (default) server's
>> directory at /var/www/html. It does get the name right on that page, as i
>>  mentioned, but it has 'no business' being in that directory.
>>
>> Obviously there is a different path being followed between inside and outside
>>  calls but I don't know how to follow that along in a logical way.
>>
>  Is 192.168.1.11 also the IP of the 'default' server?
>
>  I am going to guess it is.  What are you using for a web browser?
>  What happens if you telnet to 192.168.1.11 port 80 and issue this:
>  'GET / HTTP/1.1\n
>   HOST: www.cruiseroutes.com\n\n'.
>

>--
>Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>

George Walsh,
Managing Director,
CruiseRoutes Division,
DSC Directional Services Corp
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts; document root as seen from alocaluser account and from the internet

Posted by Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>.
On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 13:43, George Walsh wrote:

> No, the default (main) server is 192.168.1.10.
>
> The browser is either Galeon (I'm clearly a Gnome Man!) or Mozilla.
> Both respond the same way. On the external machine, Netscape7 is used.
> Invoking telnet to 192.168.1.11:80 responds immediately,
> identifying www.cruiseroutes.com
>
> After entering the GET and HOST commands, the correctindex page for the
> cruiseroutes site appears.

  Something is fishy.  The main server is at 192.168.1.10.
  www.cruiseroutes.com is at 192.168.1.11.  www.xprservices.com is
  at 192.168.1.12.

  You enter www.cruiseroutes.com in the browser and get the default
  page for 192.168.1.10?  Yet nslookup says the IP is 192.168.1.11.
  Have you tried emptying the cache on the browsers you are using?
  Did www.cruiseroutes.com ever have 192.168.1.10 as its IP address
  at some earlier point during testing, and did you use these browsers
  to access it at that address before?  If so, try emptying the cache,
  both memory- and disk-based.  Is there, by chance, an entry in the
  hosts file for www.cruiseroutes.com pointing the 192.168.1.10 on the
  remote machine?

--
Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>