Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Chris Pepper <pe...@reppep.com> on 2006/11/08 06:31:42 UTC

FancyIndexing not valid HTML

	Is it a known and accepted fact that FancyIndexing generates
invalid HTML? FancyIndexing puts invalid tags inside the <pre> block.
I'm inclined to report it, but perhaps it's accepted for improved
appearance. If that's so, FancyIndexing shouldn't be on by default
(it is in Mac OS X 10.4 Server and RHEL4, and of course minotaur).

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.apache.org%2F%7Epepper%2F

						Chris
PS-If I don't hear any more feedback on Allow,Deny by this weekend,
I'll submit my proposed wording.
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>
                             <http://www.reppep.com/weblog/pepper/>

Re: FancyIndexing not valid HTML

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 11/8/06, Lars Eilebrecht <la...@apache.org> wrote:
> According to Chris:
>
> >       Is it a known and accepted fact that FancyIndexing generates
> > invalid HTML? FancyIndexing puts invalid tags inside the <pre> block.
> > I'm inclined to report it, but perhaps it's accepted for improved
> > appearance. If that's so, FancyIndexing shouldn't be on by default
> > (it is in Mac OS X 10.4 Server and RHEL4, and of course minotaur).
>
> Well, if you set "IndexOptions SuppressIcon SuppressRules" it
> becomes valid HTML 3.2 output.

Or IndexOptions HTMLTable, which is in the suggested config for 2.2.

But yes, it is known and has been that way for years.  If it isn't
documented, then it probably should be.

Joshua.

Re: FancyIndexing not valid HTML

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@apache.org>.
According to Chris:

> 	Is it a known and accepted fact that FancyIndexing generates
> invalid HTML? FancyIndexing puts invalid tags inside the <pre> block.
> I'm inclined to report it, but perhaps it's accepted for improved
> appearance. If that's so, FancyIndexing shouldn't be on by default
> (it is in Mac OS X 10.4 Server and RHEL4, and of course minotaur).

Well, if you set "IndexOptions SuppressIcon SuppressRules" it
becomes valid HTML 3.2 output.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht