Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Daniel Miller <da...@corp.idt.net> on 2006/06/29 08:50:28 UTC

ASP .NET 2.0 Security error - Config problems - Any ideas?

Hi there

I'm using log4net with an ASP .NET 2.0 application. On my local machine all
works well, but when deployed to an ISP, there are no logs.

After much debugging, I discovered that log4net was failing on a "Security
Error" (see error message below) - i.e., the server's trust level is Medium
and blocks log4net from reading the config data. (When I used a separate
log4net.config file this error was swallowed; it only showed up when I moved
the config data to web.config).

After much searching online, still no hope in sight (the trust level cannot
be overridden for this server) and some claim there is no solution.

(See
http://www.tisgoud.nl/blog/CommentView,guid,79cd746e-556a-4417-a1fe-fb429bd3
7f80.aspx)

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I've tried loading configuration data from Global.asax (using
XmlConfigurator.Configure(),XmlConfigurator. ConfigureAndWatch(.), and the
same for DOMConfigurator) and also using AssemblyInfo.cs ([assembly:
log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator(ConfigFile="log4net.config",Watch=true )]),
you name it.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

---

Error message:

Security Exception

by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission
please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust
level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the
permission of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationPermission,
System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' failed.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[SecurityException: Request for the permission of type
'System.Configuration.ConfigurationPermission, System.Configuration,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' failed.]

   System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(Object demand,
StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean isPermSet) +0

   System.Security.CodeAccessPermission.Demand() +59

System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.CheckPermissionAllowed(String
configKey, Boolean requirePermission, Boolean isTrustedWithoutAptca) +65

----

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42

RE: ASP .NET 2.0 Security error - Config problems - Any ideas?

Posted by Daniel Miller <da...@corp.idt.net>.
Thanks Nicko and Ron for your help.

I tried both suggestions but still no luck.

In web.config I have:

  <configSections>
    <section name="log4net"
type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler, log4net"
requirePermission="false" />
  </configSections>

as well as the log4net config section.

In Global.asax, in method "Application_Start" I have:

        log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure();

The thing is, on my local machine it works (the test logs appear in the log
file), but when I add <trust level="Medium"/> to web.config to simulate the
host server, it doesn't work. No error message is generated either. I
uploaded the code to my web host too and find the same results.

What am I missing here?

Daniel

Posted by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com>.
See if this works: