Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Aaron Newsome <aa...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/20 22:08:06 UTC

Adding timestamp to screen recording filename

Hi guys. Anyone who has seen my previous emails to the list can probably
see that I'm a bit obsessed with screen recordings. I record a lot of
screen captured video with voice over for my day job and Guacamole has made
this so much easier than using dedicated screen capture programs.

I've noticed the following behavior with regard to the filename of screen
recordings:

* First screen recording uses the name of the connection as the filename of
the recording

* Second screen recording uses the name of the connection with a  .1
appended

* 2-255 screen recordings use the name of the connection with the number
appended

* When the number of files get to 255, screen recording just stops. No new
files get created

I'd like to change the behavior a bit, if possible. What I'd really like to
see is a way to specify that a timestamp be embedded as part of the
filename, preferably at the end of the filename, instead of the 1-255
extension.

If the field in the connection setup for the filename of the recording
would allow a variable that represents the current timestamp, that would
work perfectly.

I know it's possible to move the file to a new name after recording, but a
much simpler solution would be to have the timestamp as part of the
filename initially.

Is this a feature that can be added or is this something I can do myself by
modifying the code? I'm not much of a programmer so I wouldn't even know
where to start with this.

Thanks, Aaron

Re: Adding timestamp to screen recording filename

Posted by Aaron Newsome <aa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the ${GUAC_TIME}" and "${GUAC_DATE} parameter tokens Mike. I
wasn't aware that these could be used here.

I'll give this a try!

--Aaron

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.