Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2005/05/12 20:17:14 UTC

Re: ParallelReader

Doug Cutting wrote:
 > Would folks find this useful?

Since the general feedback was positive, I committed this.

Chuck Williams wrote:
> Yes, very useful, especially if you added one additional feature that
> looks straightforward from the code below.  That is a facility to append
> the stored fields from the non-storedFieldReaders to the Document
> on-demand.

That sounds reasonable.  If you implement this, please send a patch.

mark harwood wrote:
 > An equivalent Parallelizer for IndexWriter would be a
 > useful addition to keep the two indexes in synch.

Yes, it might in some cases.  For the cases I have in mind, the
different indexes would be written at different times, and this would
not be useful.  But if you do this differently, please contribute a
ParallelWriter.

rnewson wrote:
 > One tiny point; "enum" is a reserved keyword in JDK 1.5 so the
 > ParallelTermEnum inner class doesn't cleanly compile. Renaming the
 > TermEnum member variable to "termEnum" fixes it.

Thanks for catching that.  I just fixed it.

Doug

Re: ParallelReader

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Thursday 12 May 2005 23:59, Daniel Naber wrote:

> It seems the IllegalArgumentException is never thrown, because the
> "readers" variable is never modified?

Doug, is this something you plan to fix before 1.9?

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: ParallelReader

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Thursday 12 May 2005 20:17, Doug Cutting wrote:

>  > Would folks find this useful?
>
> Since the general feedback was positive, I committed this.

It seems the IllegalArgumentException is never thrown, because the
"readers" variable is never modified?

Unless I'm missing something, this code should throw an exception if the
indexes have different sizes:

    IndexReader ir1 = IndexReader.open("/tmp/testindex1");
    IndexReader ir2 = IndexReader.open("/tmp/testindex2");
    ParallelReader pr = new ParallelReader();
    pr.add(ir1);
    pr.add(ir2);

Regards
 Daniel