Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Zk W <mp...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/25 10:58:03 UTC

code merging between branches question

Hi All

We use SVN 1.6
We like to perform code merging between branches and we are in a dilemma
situation.

Branch A exists
Folks making code changes on Branch A
Branch B created from branch A
Folks making code changes on both branches A and B
Branch A sync code merging to Branch B
After some time
Branch C created from branch A
Branch A continues sync code merging to Branch B (for a short time)
Folks making code changes on Branch C
Folks stop code changes on Branch A and branch "frozen", no more ci
Folks making code changes on Branch B
Branch C sync code merging to Branch B
Folks making code changes on Branches B and C
After some long period of time
Now Dilemma: We like to merge Branch B to Branch C

Because Branch B is from Branch A and not Branch C, we could not apply
--reintegrate option for code merging from B to C because they don't share
common ancestry

What's the least risky way to merge (without the --reintegrate option) to
prevent "double merges/duplicated code" of (C in B) into branch C ?

Thank you
Sincerely