Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by pa...@co-operativebank.co.uk on 2004/03/03 14:40:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Re:RE: [users@httpd] Directive explanations

Before acting on this e-mail or opening any attachment, you are advised to read the disclaimer at the end of this mail.

Hi,
Thanks to everyone for the previous responses, they have been really helpful.
The links have pointed me to lots of useful information.

I have some more questions, that hopefully someone can help with. The
environment is iSeries (AS400), Apache 2.0.

Q1) I read in an IBM Redbook to always specify:

AllowOverride None

to prevent directives being overridden by .htaccess files placed in the
directories.
The above directive is not in the config file generated by the GUI. The only
Directory entries I have are:

<Directory />
   Order Deny,Allow
   Deny From all
</Directory>
<Directory /www/mqserver1/htdocs>
   Order Allow,Deny
   Allow From all
</Directory>

Would this AllowOverride possibly be done by default or should it be added in? I
wont be using .htaccess files.

Q2) I have 2 http servers, one listening on port 1426, the other on 1427. I have
the following ProxyPass directive in the first server:

Listen 1426
ProxyPass /mq/ http://server1:1427

where server1 is the hostname of my machine.

when I enter
http://server1:1426/mq/

It correctly redirects the request from the first server to the second server,
http://server1:1427, and the index.html page is shown for this second http
server.

Does this mean any requests on 1416 with /mq/ in the address will redirect to
the second server?

When I enter:
http://server1:1426/mq/page3.html, I get "Bad Request - Proxy Load Failed"
(I have a page3.html in the mq directory on the first server and in the document
root directory on the second server.)

When I enter:
http://server1:1426/mq

I get:
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:41:11 GMT

Im not sure why!

Q3) I added the following directive:

LogMaint logs/error_log 5 0

which I believe deletes error logs older than 5 days. I stopped and started the
server but there are still error logs older than 5 days! When does it delete the
logs?

Q4) Are there any recommended guidelines/practices for the config files? The web
sites I am building are for use within an Intranet with a low volume of users.

Thanks in advance,
Pat
Subject:    RE: [users@httpd] Directive explanations
Author: "Blane Warrene" <Bl...@acc-corp.net>
Date:       27/02/2004 10:39

I did not want to self-promote on the list via links to my articles -
however, I just wrote an article on logging in Apache that may be
helpful:

Q1

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/configuring-web-logs-apache

Q2
You can administer web logs via a web log analysis tool - there are
several - the key is either finding one that runs on your OS or insuring
the web logs get dropped onto a server/box accessible to the log
analysis tool.  There are several open source ones you can use to test
with.  Example here is with Webalizer:

http://www.practicalapplications.net/linux/archives/000023.html

Q3
Those are environment variables that pre-address known issues.  You can
also use them to prevent items from being logged (like your own IP or
the robots.txt file - which may skew your stats in the logs - see below
and also article on Apache site on env var in httpd.conf

Example - Conditional Logging
(You will need to modify the IP address to a real one for this to work -
i.e. either your machine IP address if using static IP or that of your
proxy server/router if proxying Internet access from your local
network.)

# Prevent entries from my host address
SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "10\.0\.0\.1" dontlog
# Prevent entries for the favicon.ico file
SetEnvIf Request_URI "^/favicon\.ico$" dontlog
# Log what remains
CustomLog logs/web.log combined env=!dontlog

Additionally, you could additionally prevent requests for the robots.txt
file from being logged as well.

# Prevent entries for robots.txt
SetEnvIf Request_URI "^/robots\.txt$" dontlog

NOTE: Remember to change the log type to that which you prefer, i.e. I
use the combined log format instead of common. See your httpd.conf file
for your current log format type.  Also restart Apache when done

Article on EnvVar --> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/env.html

Q4

See the section entitled Protect Server Files by Default here -->
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/security_tips.html

Hope this is helpful

---
Blane