Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Nadav Har'El <ny...@math.technion.ac.il> on 2005/06/16 12:51:10 UTC

When is release due?

Hi, a project I've been involved in is using POI. Recently we noticed a
very strange problem: on some computers, but not all, the title we read
for MS-Word files written in Hebrew becomes gibberish, as if we have an
encoding problem - while everywhere else the Hebrew text is read perfectly.
I debugged this issue, and it turns out to be a bug that existed in
hpsf/Property.java, a bug which has already been fixed since the last release,
and the fix is in the CVS tree.

It's been almost a year since the last official POI release was made, and
I'm sure that in addition to this bug-fix, many other bugs were fixed. So,
when is the next release planned?
Alternatively, if an official release is not planned soon, how stable is
the CVS tree now? The version I checked out today appears to be working fine,
but who knows...

Thanks,
Nadav.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Thursday, Jun 16 2005, 9 Sivan 5765
nyh@math.technion.ac.il             |-----------------------------------------

Re: When is release due?

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
If your sheet does not have images or form elements, then the current
CVS of POI is quite stable. Even otherwise, it might work for the
documents you use. So if it passes your tests, its stable.

however, my suggestion is, to backport the fix you want into the source
of the release you use. If you've managed to debug into property.java, I
dont expect this to be very difficult for you. The POI build files
should help you get a jar very easily.

Regards
-
Avik

Re: When is release due?

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
Am Donnerstag, den 16.06.2005, 13:51 +0300 schrieb Nadav Har'El:
> It's been almost a year since the last official POI release was made, and
> I'm sure that in addition to this bug-fix, many other bugs were fixed. So,
> when is the next release planned?
> Alternatively, if an official release is not planned soon, how stable is
> the CVS tree now? The version I checked out today appears to be working fine,
> but who knows...

Going with the current CVS is your best bet - at least better than
anything else in any official POI releases (at least regarding
HPSF :-)).

Best regards
Rainer Klute (HPSF pointman)

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

Inhibit software patents: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/