Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com> on 2003/10/30 16:28:50 UTC

premature page break inside text after table (with headers)

Hi.

This is hard to provide a short example of (but easier to describe).
Example FO + PDFs are at
http://www.datalucid.com/queries/XSLFO/text-after-table-overflow/.
(I don't necessarily expect anyone to read through the FO - the PDFs are
just to make the example clear to see.)

I have a problem with text following tables (whether they overflow to
A page-break occurs in the text well before the bottom of the page is
reached.

The table has a header section for repeating on overflows which includes
all titles + the column labels.
(and inside this header section I define a footnote to appear on any
pages + overflow pages where it is repeated.)

It looks like something I am doing is causing FOP (but not XEP) to think
there is less region-body available than is the case.

Anyone else encountered this problem - or can think of a likely cause?

(I don't often have trailing text - so not an urgent problem)

Any comments appreciated.

Re: premature page break inside text after table (with headers)

Posted by Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com>.
Thanks for the response.

I am using footnotes - but these work perfectly if just pure tables on page.
Problem only arises when also following block of text.

And space left on page when premature page break triggered is
substantially more than the footnote depth.
Although it is always the same amount of space - which suggests it may
be linked to the footnote - particularly as everything works OK if I
omit the footnote.
Footnote is 1.5cm high, region-after is 0.5cm high and space from end of
text to start  top of footnote is 5cm.

I have just tried it with shorter footnote and text does reach further
down page.

Attached is somewhat smaller PDF + FO if it helps - but does sound like
footnote problem - although more than twice footnote depth.

If current design is screwed then my chances of hacking a solution are
slight - and for me not an urgent problem
as I don't often need following text and yesterday was 1st time I
encountered it.
(Can probably include the text in a final table row.)

Thanks again.

J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Mike Trotman wrote:
>
>> Example FO + PDFs are at
>
> Can't be bothered to look, but are you using footnotes? The footnote
> space is actually allocated twice (chances to fix this are low, because
> of a severly screwed desigen).
>
> J.Pietschmann

Datalucid Limited
8 Eileen Road
South Norwood
London SE25 5EJ
tel :0208-239-6810
mob: 0794-725-9760
email: mike.trotman@datalucid.com
UK Co. Reg:   	4383635
VAT Reg.:   	798 7531 60

Re: premature page break inside text after table (with headers)

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com>.
Further testing with FOP on the problem below reveals:

- Surprisingly space left on page (when premature break occurs) seems to
be almost constant - not affected by height of table-headers.
    (=~ 7cm to end of egion-after - height of footnote=1.5cm, height of
region-after=0.5cm)

This has got me really puzzled - I can't imagine what else is
determining where premature page-break occurs.

- Enclosing following text in an fo:block-container (and specifying
height) shows text to the full height of the block-container
including reaching beyond after-edge of page without a page-break being
thrown - but then maybe block-container is independent of page size?
(whereas XEP doesn't show block-container at all if extent falls outside
page area)

My Java is very basic - so haven't managed yet to find relevant parts of
source-code to examine.

If anyone has any ideas what might be causing this or similar problems
I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Posted by Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com>.
I've done some further experiments and the problem described below goes
away if I don't define the footnote in the table header.
(which is not a solution as I need that footnote.)

So - my guess is that FOP is getting confused and reserving space for
the header as well as the footnote
(or something close to that)
but ONLY if there is an additional block of text on the page - as if
starting this block somehow starts partially preparing for a new page.
(so subtracts the miscalculated reserved space from what is left on the
current page.)

I will try other fo containers and see if everything triggers it - or
just fo:block.

This is quite laborious to re-arrange - so if anyone has any similar
experiences - let me know.
(I've searched the archive but can't find anything relevant that matches
the keywords I've used for searching.)