Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Adrian Lewis <ad...@alsiconsulting.co.uk> on 2015/01/14 18:35:55 UTC

Anyone using CS to offer DRaaS?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone out there is using CS to provide customers with DR
services and how? Most of the commercial products out there that might
allow us to do so involve either some sort of SAN replication or else
direct access to the hypervisor hosts. Vision Solutions have an old product
called DoubleTake Cloud Protection and Recovery but it seems that they
stopped development of it and hence don’t support working with any version
of CS greater than 3.0.

Is anyone aware of a solution that does near-realtime replication of non CS
VMs or physical hosts into a CS environment? Even just a one-time migration
tool might be a good start. In our use-case, were hoping to
replicate/migrate Windows machines in customer networks (behind firewalls)
onto our CS environment (running Xenserver). Not keen on building from
scratch and would prefer some sort of commercially supported solution if
possible.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

Re: Anyone using CS to offer DRaaS?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi,

I also dearly needed a DR feature or at least a reasonable way to hack around it, but in this case using an actual cloud framework (Cloudstack or anything else) seemed to make life significantly more difficult.

I am building a virt setup right now for a customer which needs DR server(s) off-site and I ended up with vanilla KVM hypervisors and nightly "rsync --in-place" of qcow2 files. It's a shame as the customer otherwise would have loved some of ACS features, stuff that we must now do manually.

I do not blame ACS or anything, it's the customers' who should make their apps more cloud friendly and take advantage of zones and such. :)

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro