Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by William Henry <wh...@redhat.com> on 2008/08/25 20:58:54 UTC

Building qpid on Mac OS X

Has anyone successfully built qpid on OS X?  If so have you documented
any further steps required above and beyond what's included in INSTALL?

Regards,
William Henry

Re: Building qpid on Mac OS X

Posted by William Henry <wh...@redhat.com>.
Hiram Chirino wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 15:59 -0600, William Henry wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Martin,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response. Yes I meant the C++ side.
>>>
>>> I'll try the Java side in the meantime.
>>>
>>> Looking through the INSTALL for C++ the instructions are very linux
>>> focused - which is too be expected.  If I get time I'll see about
>>> downloading the appropriate prerequisite packages and trying to get C++
>>> to work on OS X  but  I have too much going on right now.
>>>
>> The biggest issue will be epoll - I think it's a Linux thing. There's
>> already Solaris & Windows impls out there so it can be ported. A generic
>> posix poll() impl would probably work and be portable to most unixen but
>> probably not as fast as epoll or the solaris event framework stuff.
>>

> This is the osx/bsd version of epoll:
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man2/kqueue.2.html

Thanks Hiram. I'll look at this the next chance I get.

William

Re: Building qpid on Mac OS X

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 15:59 -0600, William Henry wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Thanks for the response. Yes I meant the C++ side.
>>
>> I'll try the Java side in the meantime.
>>
>> Looking through the INSTALL for C++ the instructions are very linux
>> focused - which is too be expected.  If I get time I'll see about
>> downloading the appropriate prerequisite packages and trying to get C++
>> to work on OS X  but  I have too much going on right now.
>
> The biggest issue will be epoll - I think it's a Linux thing. There's
> already Solaris & Windows impls out there so it can be ported. A generic
> posix poll() impl would probably work and be portable to most unixen but
> probably not as fast as epoll or the solaris event framework stuff.

This is the osx/bsd version of epoll:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man2/kqueue.2.html

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: Building qpid on Mac OS X

Posted by William Henry <wh...@redhat.com>.
Thanks Alan. Nothing quite as much fun as porting ;-)

William

Re: Building qpid on Mac OS X

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Re: Building qpid on Mac OS X