Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> on 2020/07/03 06:18:43 UTC

[TEST] Struts 2.5.23 test build is ready

Hi,

Please take a time and test the bits - any help is appreciated. Please
report any problems. I'll call for a vote in a few days if no problems
will be spotted.

Staging Maven repo
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

Standalone artifacts
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/struts/2.5.23/

Release notes
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Version+Notes+2.5.23

Kind regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: [TEST] Struts 2.5.23 test build is ready

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
I have posted the question [1] and probably we will have to set this
[2] - looks like a manual process when preparing a release

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r95564f07e23a47072f7d9c373c1accc5a2c4d89d2632f37de4934ced%40%3Cusers.maven.apache.org%3E
[2] https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-reproducible-builds.html

Regards

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
śr., 8 lip 2020 o 04:31 James Chaplin <jc...@apache.org> napisał(a):

> Hello Łukasz (and Struts Dev Team).
>
>      Sorry for the long response (I was trying to be thorough).  :)
>
>      I checked out tag STRUTS_2_5_23 and built it locally with JDK7, as you suggested.  It produced the same January 5 2020 modification timestamps inside all the zip files produced by the assembly.
>
>      Next I examined some other recent 2.5.x project builds assembly zip files from June 2020, and they also have the January 5 2020 modification timestamped contents.
>
>      Checking a recent JDK8-built 2.6.0 project build from June 2020 showed it also had the weird January 2020 modification timestamps for its contents.  It looks like both 2.5.x and 2.6.x builds are affected the same way.  :(
>
>      After that, checking a recent 2.3.38-SNAPSHOT build (July 2020) showed that its zip file contents were normal (modification content timestamps in July 2020).
>
>      With some digging and comparing maven-assembly-plugin versions for the 2.3.38 vs. 2.5.23 builds it looks like the Maven Assembly Plugin is somehow involved in the issue.
>
>      Overriding the maven-assembly-plugin versions in the Struts 2 Assembly the results were:
>      - The assembly build produces good zip-content modification timestamps for plugin: 2.6.0, 3.0.0 and 3.1.1.
>      - The assembly build produces bad zip-content modification timestamps for plugin: 3.2.0, 3.3.0.
>        For 2.5.23 the Maven build uses maven-assembly-plugin 3.2.0 (did not check 2.6).
>
>      So the zip incorrect content modification timestamp issues could be a Maven Assembly Plugin bug affecting more recent versions (v3.2.0+) ?
>
>      I did a really quick search for a relevant JIRA on this but did not find one.  If anyone knows of a JIRA or has seen a similar symptom, please advise.
>
>      What to you think ?  Should the Struts 2 Assembly POM override the maven-assembly-plugin version in the build(s) to 3.1.1 for now ?

Thanks a lot for digging into it! Looks like the core problem is this
[1] - we are using Apache Master POM ver. 22 which introduced Maven
Assembly Plugin ver. 3.2.0 and new option outputTimestamp [2] and as
we do not override the outputTimestamp in our pom, the value is taken
from the master pom which is [1]

I will post a question to the Maven Users Group about that. Thanks again!

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven-apache-parent/blob/apache-22/pom.xml#L95
[2] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/single-mojo.html#outputTimestamp

Regards

Posted by James Chaplin <jc...@apache.org>.
[...]