Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mathieu Plourde <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/20 20:25:03 UTC

Update and svn/db/current access

When I use the update command, the owner of the file svn/db/current changes
to the user that updated. For example, if the user mplourde commits some
files, it will change the user/group owning the svn/db/current file for
mplourde/mplourde. Because of this, all the other users can't svn add/update
because they don't have access to svn/db/current.

The user/group owning the file is supposed to be apache/svnusers. The user
mplourde is also in svnusers.

Note: I'm still not 100% sure the problem is from SVN itself, as I'm using
TortoiseSVN.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

Re: Update and svn/db/current access

Posted by "Mark E. Hamilton" <mh...@sandia.gov>.
Mathieu Plourde wrote:
> When I use the update command, the owner of the file svn/db/current
> changes to the user that updated. For example, if the user mplourde
> commits some files, it will change the user/group owning the
> svn/db/current file for mplourde/mplourde. Because of this, all
> the other users can't svn add/update because they don't have access to
> svn/db/current.
>
> The user/group owning the file is supposed to be apache/svnusers. The
> user mplourde is also in svnusers.
>
> Note: I'm still not 100% sure the problem is from SVN itself, as I'm
> using TortoiseSVN.

I believe that whether the user/group gets set to apache/svnusers or
mplourde/mplourde depends on what connect schema you are using. If you
use http:// or https:// then I believe that it is set to the user/group
of apache; if you are using svn:// or svn+ssh:// (as we are) then the
user doing the commit is actually logged on to the server to do so
(instead of having apache do it for him/her) so the ownership of files
gets set to that user's user/group id.

If the latter is the case then what you need to do is to set the group
id of all the files in your repository to svnusers, and then set the
setgid ('s') bit on all of the directories in the repository. What I do
with our repositories is this:

chgrp -R ${group_id} ${svnrepos}
chmod -R a+rwX,g+rwX,o+rX ${svnrepos}
find ${svnrepos} -type d -exec chmod g+s {} \;

OTOH if the former is the case (you're using http/https) or if
TortiseSVN is doing something strange, then someone else will need to
chime in, as I'm not familiar with how those work.