Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/20 10:54:19 UTC

[VOTE] TinkerPop 3.1.0-incubating Release

Hello,
We are happy to announce that TinkerPop 3.1.0-incubating is ready for
release.

The release artifacts can be found at this location:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tinkerpop/3.1.0-incubating/

The source distribution is provided by:
    apache-tinkerpop-3.1.0-incubating-src.zip

Two binary distributions are provided for user convenience:
    apache-gremlin-console-3.1.0-incubating-bin.zip
    apache-gremlin-server-3.1.0-incubating-bin.zip

The GPG key used to sign the release artifacts is available at:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tinkerpop/KEYS

The online docs can be found here:
    http://tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org/docs/3.1.0-incubating/ (user docs)

http://tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org/docs/3.1.0-incubating/upgrade.html#_tinkerpop_3_1_0
(upgrade docs)
    http://tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org/javadocs/3.1.0-incubating/core/
(core javadoc)
    http://tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org/javadocs/3.1.0-incubating/full/
(full javadoc)

The tag in Apache Git can be found here:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-tinkerpop.git;a=tag;h=310d0cda0c5ac83f47d173aaa4cf2ec51a47e636

The release notes are available here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-tinkerpop/blob/3.1.0-incubating/CHANGELOG.asciidoc#tinkerpop-310-release-date-november-16-2015

Finally, the dev@tinkerpop [VOTE] thread can be found at this location:

    https://pony-poc.apache.org/thread.html/Zea70rxds8l66xj

Result summary: +14 (4 binding, 10 non-binding), 0 (0), -1 (0)

The [VOTE] will be open for the next 72 hours --- closing Monday (November
23, 2015) at 5:00am EST.

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: [VOTE] TinkerPop 3.1.0-incubating Release

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)
Passed my usual compliance checks.

With regards,
Daniel.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: [VOTE] TinkerPop 3.1.0-incubating Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

>> HPPC (no notice file)
>
> You'd previously suggested that we assume a standard notice for HPPC and
> add copyright but i believe i found that copyright in their source notice
> at one point.

Up to you/the PPMC I think, INAL but given there's no NOTICE there’s no need to do anything.

> If it is acceptable to simply not include such things, then I imagine it
> would be best to go that route and keep things simple.

Keeping everything out of NOTICE that should’t be there is the advice i.e. "It is important to keep NOTICE as brief and simple as possible” [1]

> If all that sounds good, then I've made a bunch of changes in that context:
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-tinkerpop/blob/f08a4488907090eea8cde8eaf9acac7ada28fc7c/gremlin-console/src/main/NOTICE
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-tinkerpop/blob/f08a4488907090eea8cde8eaf9acac7ada28fc7c/gremlin-server/src/main/NOTICE

Looks much better but may be missing some dependancies of dependancies [2] I’d double check if Apache Harmony, Compress-LZF, lz4, lzma-java, Aalto XML or HPACK are actually bundled and if so check if they have NOTICE files that may effect your NOTICE file. That list is from the Netty NOTICE file [3], some are optional so look at what’s in the netty jar to try and work out what is actually bundled.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#deps-of-deps
3. https://github.com/netty/netty/blob/master/NOTICE.txt

Re: [VOTE] TinkerPop 3.1.0-incubating Release

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
> but different copyright years do you need to put anything in NOTICE? From
what I’ve seen the answer is no

ok - so because we have TinkerPop boilerplate at the top of NOTICE, we can
drop others that have that same boilerplate with different copyright years.

> HPPC (no notice file)

You'd previously suggested that we assume a standard notice for HPPC and
add copyright but i believe i found that copyright in their source notice
at one point:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201509.mbox/%3C828ACE49-4224-47D0-9F03-6EF3F31950C7@classsoftware.com%3E

anyway, i'd rather just remove it if that is also a valid solution.

> And the copyright line from any software that is Apache licensed but not
developed by the ASF.

ok - so if it's not an ASF project but is apache licensed, then we need
their copyright line in NOTICE and if they don't have NOTICE we can leave
them out of our NOTICE.

> Really up to you on how you want to deal with that but from what I can
see nothing should be included in NOTICE.

If it is acceptable to simply not include such things, then I imagine it
would be best to go that route and keep things simple.

If all that sounds good, then I've made a bunch of changes in that context:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-tinkerpop/blob/f08a4488907090eea8cde8eaf9acac7ada28fc7c/gremlin-console/src/main/NOTICE
https://github.com/apache/incubator-tinkerpop/blob/f08a4488907090eea8cde8eaf9acac7ada28fc7c/gremlin-server/src/main/NOTICE

i expect to continue to review in the light of my revised understanding
here.  Hopefully I've got a good handle on what's required now so that by
next release we are solid.  Thanks for digging in deep on your last post -
having some specifics helped me better put in context what I've read over
and over again in the "licensing how to".

Thanks,

Stephen

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> anyway, I've read it again, in the context of what you've said here, and it
> seems like we should not have included the Apache licensed dependencies in
> the binary LICENSE file

Yep that’s correct.

> I didn't change the binary NOTICE files as I believe that their contents
> are just Apache licensed stuff that themselves have NOTICE so given [1]

Not quite correct as you have content that probably shouldn’t be here. I think some of that come down to if you have two ASF projects with boilerplate NOTICE files but different copyright years do you need to put anything in NOTICE? From what I’ve seen the answer is no, but someone more experienced with this may have a clearer idea. You do need need to add that copyright line if the software is not developed at the ASF.

So IMO there's no need to list Commons Configuration, Commons Logging, HPPC (no notice file), Http Components Client, the log4j is probably not needed (look at slf4j-api-1.7.12.jar notice file). [1][2]

The only Apache licensed software that I can see that would effect NOTICE are:

Apache Commons Codec (AL ASF):
"src/test/org/apache/commons/codec/language/DoubleMetaphoneTest.java
contains test data from http://aspell.net/test/orig/batch0.tab.
Copyright (C) 2002 Kevin Atkinson (kevina@gnu.org)”

Apache Commons Lang (AL ASF):
This product includes software from the Spring Framework,
under the Apache License 2.0 (see: StringUtils.containsWhitespace())

Apache Groovy:
"This product includes software developed by
The Groovy community (http://groovy.codehaus.org/).”

Apache HttpCore (AL ASF):
"This project contains annotations derived from JCIP-ANNOTATIONS
Copyright (c) 2005 Brian Goetz and Tim Peierls. See http://www.jcip.net”

Apache Ivy (although the BSD portion should probably be in LICENSE).
"Portions of Ivy were originally developed by
Jayasoft SARL (http://www.jayasoft.fr/)
and are licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
"Software Grant License Agreement"

SSH and SFTP support is provided by the JCraft JSch package,
which is open source software, available under
the terms of a BSD style license.
The original software and related information is available
at http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/.”

And the copyright line from any software that is Apache licensed but not developed by the ASF. e.g. Netty. Other non ASF Apache software i.e. SnakeYAML, JavaTuples, Hawtjni, Jbcrypt and HPPC  all have missing or broken notice files so up to you. (Hawtjini is bundled in jline-2.12.jar BTW).

And finally Netty which has lots of issues. The Netty NOTICE file incorrectly includes BSD, MIT and Apache licensed bits and also lists out all dependancies not what is just bundled. [3] Really up to you on how you want to deal with that but from what I can see nothing should be included in NOTICE. It may be that some of these if they are bundled should actually go in LICENSE (for the permissive BSD and MIT licensed items). Any Apache software may also effect the NOTICE file but I’ve not checked them all. e.g It’s likely that Apache Harmony notice text would need to be added. [4]

Posted by Mary the sonnetor <ma...@gmail.com>.
And another thing..it has no names so I do have a right for legal issues
and publication.

inspirational laison

Posted by Mary the sonnetor <ma...@gmail.com>.
That's OK. I have it saved for a higher authority.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Bundled with the software (according to the license file)  is Activiti
which is Apache licensed and has a notice file [1] (although most of this
content shouldn't actually be in license). As per [2] this needs to be
looked at and parts added to the Tinkerpop NOTICE file.  However I can’t
even find the two files mentioned in LICENSE so it may be that nothing
needs to be done and those lines removed from LICENSE?

Maybe we did something wrong here, but those classes are here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-tinkerpop/blob/master/gremlin-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tinkerpop/gremlin/structure/io/graphml/GraphMLWriterHelper.java

The are basically just recreated as inner classes in that java file.  Is
that the wrong way to do that? or is that ok, but we've got to deal with
LICENSE/NOTICE differently for them?

> As noted in the previous incubator release [3] can the binary
NOTICE/LICENSE files please be fixed before the next release. Your mentors
should be able to help with this

The link you posted was for 3.0.0-incubating, but our most recent release
was 3.0.2-incubating, a release where i was glad to hear that you were
happy with the changes to our binary LICENSE/NOTICE:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201510.mbox/%3C03DC59B6-FF46-4229-AFB0-5DF42D968DF5@me.com%3E