Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org> on 2009/02/23 16:55:18 UTC

Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

Hi,
  For Eclipse IDE users, a plugin is available to help development with
OpenJPA [1]. It adds a builder step to Java projects in Eclipse workspace so
that all your persistent classes are bytecode enhanced as part of the
Eclipse's incremental compilation process.
Please note that, at this point, this plugin is in very early stage of
development and is not part of official OpenJPA release or maintenance.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~ppoddar/eclipse/index.html

  Regards --

Pinaki

Re: Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

Posted by Daryl Stultz <da...@6degrees.com>.
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Daryl -
>
> Did you ever hear back from the MyEclipse people?

They have acknowledged the feature request but no other announcement. Here's
the thread:
http://www.myeclipseide.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=23019&highlight=

--
Daryl Stultz
_____________________________________

Re: Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
In case this post missed your attention...
http://n2.nabble.com/Voluteer-to-build-OpenJPA-Eclipse-plugin-tc2493580.html#a2493580

Daryl -

Did you ever hear back from the MyEclipse people?

-Rick

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org> wrote:

> What is the status of this request?

I just submitted it in response to your message today. I'll let you know if
I hear anything.

--
Daryl Stultz
_____________________________________
6 Degrees Software and Consulting, Inc.
http://www.6degrees.com
mailto:daryl@6degrees.com

-----
Pinaki Poddar                      http://ppoddar.blogspot.com/

http://www.linkedin.com/in/pinakipoddar
OpenJPA PMC Member/Committer
JPA Expert Group Member

Re: Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

Posted by Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com>.
Daryl -

Posted by Daryl Stultz <da...@6degrees.com>.

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hi Daryl,
> Pinaki, I'm sure your plugin will be great,

Thank you for your kind words. But I am really a novice in such matters.

> but FYI I have added this as a feature request to the MyEclipseIDE plugin

What is the status of this request?

Please note that while implementing this plugin, I found understanding of
certain aspects of classloading disciplines by serp (the additional utility
that really edits the bytecode) is essential. The classloading is somewhat
more involved because of a generic plugin of this nature must be able to
'see' the user's entity classes. By default, such visibility does not exist
because Eclipse loads respective plugin in their own classloader. I read
about a 'buddy scheme' that Hibernate plugins used to circumvent similar
visibility issue. This plugin, however, follows a different approach by
constructing classloaders dynamically as a combination of user project's
classpath and openjpa library classpath while loading user's domain classes
for enhancement.

Please convey to MyEclipseIDE that they are welcome to contact us if they
need further details to help their development.

Regards --

Posted by Daryl Stultz <da...@6degrees.com>.

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hi,
> I've noticed that OpenEJB has a separate project for the OpenEJB Eclipse
> Plugin.
> Maybe we should consider following the same path?
If you are saying we should make this stuff part of openjpa officially
(meaning some new openjpa-eclipse module) then I have some concerns.
I am not conversant with the complexity of build process and dependencies in
automating maven builds for such plugin -- but my assumption is it is going
to be non-trivial. Also it will bring dependencies with other (jdt) eclipse
plugins that may be evolving faster than our current dependencies such as
Apache Commons libraries.

Hence, my preference is to consider a separate project altogether. Such
project will have more independence to reach a skill set focused towards
Eclipse plugin development and IDE usability aspects.

Regards --

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hi,
  I am still in the process of figuring out how to build this stuff without
the help of Eclipse PDE.
Will get the legal issues surely sorted out once we get the mechanics right.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>> Donald Woods wrote:
>>>
>>> No idea.  It had already been created before I started working on
>>> Geronimo.
>>>
>>> From the ASF page -
>>>  http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator
>>> it sounds like sub-projects should go through the incubator, so maybe we
>>> should just create a branch for tooling under the existing openjpa project
>>> and just handle it just as another OpenJPA binary release with its own JIRA
>>> component for bug/feature tracking and not deal with the sub-project process
>>> overhead for now.

FWIW with subversion, i tend to prefer (where possible) to create a
new area and use svn:externals to pull in the current code

>> No need to go through the incubator to create a tooling sub-project for
>> OpenJPA.   Maybe 'sub-project' is not quite the right term here, but the
>> point is that the OpenJPA team can carve out svn space to develop and
>> maintain OpenJPA Eclipse tooling and you can package/release that stuff
>> however you see fit (usual caveats apply). No need for incubator foo here...
>
> +1

+1

note that (of course) any code imports need to register the paperwork
using the lightweight procedure on
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

- robert

Re: Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Donald Woods wrote:
>> No idea.  It had already been created before I started working on
>> Geronimo.
>>
>> From the ASF page -
>>   http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator
>> it sounds like sub-projects should go through the incubator, so
>> maybe we should just create a branch for tooling under the existing
>> openjpa project and just handle it just as another OpenJPA binary
>> release with its own JIRA component for bug/feature tracking and
>> not deal with the sub-project process overhead for now.
>>

> No need to go through the incubator to create a tooling sub-project
> for OpenJPA.   Maybe 'sub-project' is not quite the right term here,
> but the point is that the OpenJPA team can carve out svn space to
> develop and maintain OpenJPA Eclipse tooling and you can package/
> release that stuff however you see fit (usual caveats apply). No
> need for incubator foo here...

+1

Craig

> Bill
>
>> -Donald
>>

>> Pinaki Poddar wrote:
>>> Yup, I agree.
>>> Did this separate subproject require approval from Apache Board?

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hello Craig,
  In this thread we are discussing possible options for hosting a Eclipse
plugin for OpenJPA. Most of the responses so far seem to suggest a
sub-project for OpenJPA. A sub-project that will will not tie down/alter
main OpenJPA project's build or release processes.

  Will you please comment what is a good option for hosting such a plugin
development? And if we go for a sub-project, what procedural steps, if any,
needs to be taken up with Apache Board?

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
No idea.  It had already been created before I started working on Geronimo.

 From the ASF page -

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
No idea.  It had already been created before I started working on Geronimo.

 From the ASF page -

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Yup, I agree.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hi Kevin,
   Why I considered starting to build a plugin for OpenJPA is two-fold:

a) to estimate and experience first hand, what is the complexity involved in
developing a Eclipse based tooling for OpenJPA with this prototype. Starting
as a novice, the effort was equivalent to 4 person-days.

b) I have seen too many questions and doubts and reports that are related to
enhancement in one way or other. Making enhancement a transparent (or
perhaps even invisible) part of compilation process will remove/lower a
barrier to wider adoption of OpenJPA.

  At this point, I have not pondered about future of this activity. All that
I know is tooling is a high-priority item and the competitors are ahead. We
should better get started. And the best help is often at the end of one's
own arms :)

  I am open to any suggestions to collaborate with other people with similar
interests. And perhaps i am slightly less clueless about Eclipse plugins
than I was a week ago to participate in such collaborative efforts :)

  Regards and if you are a Eclipse user, be kind enough to give this plugin
a try.

Re: Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pinaki,

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Pinaki, can we at least get a copy of the current plugin source checked
into openjpa/sandboxes, until we decide on how to build/release it?

If you don't have time to check-in the files, just send me a tar/zip and
I'll work on it.

-Donald

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.

-----

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Re: Is setQueryCache() broken, and how to fix?

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

I'd say this is a bug.

OpenJPAQuery q = OpenJPAPersistence.cast(em.createQuery("Select p from
Person p");
q.setQueryCacheEnabled(false);  // should behave identically to disabling
the query cache in the config.

I'm not terribly familiar with that part of the code, but if you're
interested in pursuing the problem I'll try to help.

-mike

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.