Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Erik Lotspeich <er...@lotspeich.org> on 2001/04/24 06:11:07 UTC

Problems building Tomcat.

Hello,

I am new to Jakarta and Tomcat, and I am having trouble building Tomcat.
I'm sure that this comes up on the list alot, so I don't mean to beat a
dead horse here.

I've looked through and read all of the FAQs, looked through newsgroup
archives on DejaNews, printed out hundreds of pages of documentation
from the http://jakarta.apache.org/ website, and read all of the readme
files and install documents.  What I experience building Jakarta does not
correspond with the documentation.

I'm trying to build Jakarta 3.2.  I've successfully built a usable Ant.
However, when I try to build jakarta-servletapi with the build.sh script,
I get the following message.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tools/ant/Main

When I run ant with no arguments (assuming that it finds the build.xml
flie), it appears to build ok.  Is this normal?  What is the correct way
to build jakarta-servletapi?  The docs say to run build.sh.

When I try to build jakarta-tomcat from source, I get a similar error if I
try build.sh, and when I try to build it with ant alone, I get tons of
errors.  I noted that previous versions of Tomcat included a taglib and a
tools package.  Where do I obtain these for the 3.2 release?  They are not
located in the directory at jakarta.apache.org where I found servletapi
and tomcat.

Is there a comprehensive source of documentation or a procedure for how to
build this beast?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Erik.