Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Purcell <sp...@vertisinc.com> on 2005/11/30 15:50:37 UTC

SSL Port Question Config

I am trying to configure my Tomcat 5.5.12 running on XP to use SSL. I have received my certificate from 'Verisign' and put it into my keystore like the docs state.

After that I followed the Tomcat docs, and uncommented out this bit from the conf/server.xml
<!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
               acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

and added my keystoreFile and keystorePass  as attributes in the above.

I then added a <security constraint element to my web.xml for the web-app I want to run.

Anyway, I was unable to get it to work .. and more searching on the web, it appears that port 443 is the default port not 8443? But even the Tomcat docs state to try this after configuring: https://localhost:8443

Could anyone clarify what port SSL should be using, and why the 8443 vs 443 (which looks standard)?

Also, if I am missing any steps, please let me know.

Regards
Scott