Posted to user@pig.apache.org by wi...@thomsonreuters.com on 2013/03/25 20:32:13 UTC

missing error log

Dear pig users,

What does it mean when pig [Cloudera Pig version 0.10.0-cdh4.1.2] reports

2013-03-25 14:46:31,186 [main] INFO  org.apache.pig.Main - Logging error messages to: /proj/ac/acComponents/blocker/pig_1364237191181.log

but that file is not created? I think there are errors in my pig script or something it depends on because it has STORE statements (and I tried DUMP too) yet there was no output. Also the runtime is too quick for any real processing to have happened.  But without an error log it’s hard to track down. How can I make pig reporting more verbose, and force it to the console?
 Thanks,

Will

William F Dowling
Senior Technologist

Thomson Reuters

RE: missing error log

Posted by wi...@thomsonreuters.com.
Thanks Johnny for your reply.  Working backwards: I am using MRv1.  I did try the logging suggestion you made, but did not get any other info.

So I did it the old-fashioned way with code bisection, commenting out swaths of my script to localize the error. It turned out it was this statement:

%default analysis_func = positive_features

When my code had that statement, it did not run productively, nor did it show any useful error message.  When I changed that to

%default analysis_func  positive_features

then the script ran as expected, and when I intentionally introduced an error, the line
  lkl lkl
then that error was logged with a good message

Pig Stack Trace
---------------
ERROR 1000: Error during parsing. Encountered " <IDENTIFIER> "lkl "" at line 100, column 1.
Was expecting one of:
    <EOF>
    "cat" ...
    "fs" ...
    "sh" ...
    "cd" ...

So the problem was the '=' character in the %default statement, but I was not able to find that out through an error message.

Thanks again,

Will

William F Dowling
Senior Technologist