Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Erik Scholtz, ArgonSoft GmbH" <e....@argonsoft.de> on 2004/05/11 11:02:29 UTC

mod_perl 1.99_13 / apache 2.0.x / mysql 4.1.1 - connection problem

Hello,

we migrated to mysql 4.1.1. Now, when my perl-script tries to connect to
the mysql-server, the following error occurs:

--
Error message:
DBI

I think, the problem has to do with mod_perl, because when I run the
script on the console, everything works fine. If I run the script
without mod_perl (over the web with apache), the script also works
without any problems. The script also works with mod_perl connecting to
a mysql 4.0.x - version. Only connecting a 4.1.1-version of mysql
produces the error above.

It is not a problem in general; I've got two webserver with the same
script running mod_perl. On one, there is no problem, on the other the
problem drives me mad.

My configuration:
-----------------
System with problem:
	FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #3
	Apache/2.0.49
	mod_perl/1.99_13
	Perl/v5.8.0
	mysql-4.1.1 Client
	DBD::mysql 2.9003

System without problem:
	FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0
	Apache/2.0.48
	mod_perl/1.99_13
	Perl/v5.8.2
	mysql-4.1.1 Client
	DBD::mysql 2.9003

The system with the problem was updated to get rid of the problem from:
	Apache/2.0.46

The test-script:
----------------

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use CGI;

# Connect to the database
use Apache::DBI;
my $dbh =
DBI->connect("dbi:mysql:database=mydatabase;mysql_client_found_rows=0;host=myhost.net","myuser",
"mypass", {RaiseError => 1});

my ($info) = $dbh->selectrow_array("SELECT info FROM mytable WHERE id=2");

print $cgi->header(-expires=>'-1d');
print $info;

(The name, host, password and username are not the real values)

Hope someone of you has an idea.
Thanks for all answers.

Erik

Re: mod_perl 1.99_13 / apache 2.0.x / mysql 4.1.1 - connection problem

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Erik Scholtz, ArgonSoft GmbH wrote:
> I think, the problem has to do with mod_perl, because when I run the
> script on the console, everything works fine. If I run the script
> without mod_perl (over the web with apache), the script also works
> without any problems. The script also works with mod_perl connecting to
> a mysql 4.0.x - version. Only connecting a 4.1.1-version of mysql
> produces the error above.
>
> It is not a problem in general; I've got two webserver with the same
> script running mod_perl. On one, there is no problem, on the other the
> problem drives me mad.

It sounds like one of them has a newer DBD::mysql installed than the
other.  Check @INC to see what paths you are searching when you run the
script under CGI and then compare that to the same thing from mod_perl.

- Perrin

Re: mod_perl 1.99_13 / apache 2.0.x / mysql 4.1.1 - connection problem

Posted by Ken Burcham <ke...@burcham.com>.
It isn't so much mod_perl as it is the perl DBI::mysql driver...
I imagine that as 4.1.1 comes out of alpha eventually the
maintainers will update to the new libraries...

You might also want to be aware that if you added users while
mysql was in 'new passwords' mode, they'll have the long password
hash and even after you restart mysql with --old-passwords you
won't be able to login as that user...  just redo the user's
password while in --old-passwords mode and you'll be able to
login.

hopefully that'll save YOU some time.  :)

ken.

On 11 May 2004 at 15:22, Erik Scholtz, ArgonSoft GmbH wrote:

> Garrison Hoffman wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 05:02, Erik Scholtz, ArgonSoft GmbH wrote:
> >

> >>failed: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by
> >> server; consider upgrading MySQL client at
> >

> > This may help:
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html
> >

> Thanks for your answer. This makes SQL use the old authentication and
> for fast solution this will be ok. But why does mod_perl not support
> the new authentication-style?
>

> Erik
>

> -----
> ArgonSoft GmbH      | Im Ermlisgrund 3      | 76337 Waldbronn
> Tel: +49 7243 71520 | Fax: +49 7243 715222  | http://www.argonsoft.de
>
> --
> Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/

Ken Burcham
Ken Burcham Consulting, Inc.
http://www.capemaystation.com

Re: mod_perl 1.99_13 / apache 2.0.x / mysql 4.1.1 - connection problem

Posted by "Erik Scholtz, ArgonSoft GmbH" <e....@argonsoft.de>.

Posted by Garrison Hoffman <ga...@codefix.net>.

Posted by Garrison Hoffman <ga...@codefix.net>.