Posted to users@felix.apache.org by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/17 12:48:45 UTC

Can I find the Felix commons OSGi wrapped bundles somewhere in Maven?

Hi,

 I need to use some of the Apache Commons libraries as OSGi bundles.
 Some of the libraries that I need are listed in the Felix Commons
 project, however since my build system is maven-based I need to pull
 these in from Maven.

 Is there a maven repo somewhere where I can find these bundles?

 Thanks,

 David

Re: Can I find the Felix commons OSGi wrapped bundles somewhere in Maven?

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 17/04/2008, David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/04/2008, Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi David, snapshots can be found here:
> >

> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/felix/commons
> >
> >  but note that this also contains snapshots for Maven itself
> >  so you might see some odd results, unless you've locked
> >  down your plugin versions (YMMV)
> >
> >  we haven't released any commons artifacts yet, because
> >  of the issues relating to re-releasing modified artifacts of
> >  other projects - most people build them from trunk or use
> >  the snapshots...
>
> Thanks Stuart, that helped!
>
> It would be nice if a released version of these bundles was made
> available somehow, so I can release my project based on them too. Sure
> I can wrap my own, but it just means everybody is doing the same
> thing...

well ideally the original project would add the necessary OSGi
metadata in their next release - the Felix "commons" project is
really only meant to be a stop-gap until that happens, and as I
mentioned before, there are some issues with us re-releasing
artifacts from other projects (ie. naming, versioning, licenses)

if the original project sees a demand for OSGi and makes such
a release, then this saves us from having to maintain and track
their project - which benefits everyone

so please let them know :)

Cheers,

> David

Cheers, Stuart

Re: Can I find the Felix commons OSGi wrapped bundles somewhere in Maven?

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 17/04/2008, David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I need to use some of the Apache Commons libraries as OSGi bundles.
>   Some of the libraries that I need are listed in the Felix Commons
>   project, however since my build system is maven-based I need to pull
>   these in from Maven.
>
>   Is there a maven repo somewhere where I can find these bundles?

Hi David, snapshots can be found here:

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/felix/commons

but note that this also contains snapshots for Maven itself
so you might see some odd results, unless you've locked
down your plugin versions (YMMV)

we haven't released any commons artifacts yet, because
of the issues relating to re-releasing modified artifacts of
other projects - most people build them from trunk or use
the snapshots...

  Thanks,

>   David

Cheers, Stuart

Re: Can I find the Felix commons OSGi wrapped bundles somewhere in Maven?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 7:58 AM, David Bosschaert
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/04/2008, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >

> >  >   I need to use some of the Apache Commons libraries as OSGi bundles.
>  >  >   Some of the libraries that I need are listed in the Felix Commons
>  >  >   project, however since my build system is maven-based I need to pull
>  >  >   these in from Maven.
>  >  >
>  >  >   Is there a maven repo somewhere where I can find these bundles?
>  >
>  >
>  > Some Apache Commons components have been released with the appropriate
>  >  OSGi meta data in their jar's manifest. Progress of Commons OSGi
>  >  releases is being tracked here:
>  >
>  >  http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CommonsOsgi
>  >
>  >  Niall
>
>  Thanks for the pointer Niall.
>  My project uses the following commons libraries:
>   commons-beanutils
>   commons-codec
>   commons-dbcp
>   commons-discovery
>   commons-email
>   commons-pool
>  None of these are yet available as OSGi bundles. It would be great if
>  they were made available as OSGi bundles!

Commons Pool 1.4 has been released as an OSGi bundle.

All new releases from commons should be OSGi ready, so for the others
its a case of either waiting for the next release or lobbying on the
commons dev list to release an OSGi ready version.

Niall

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.