Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Neil Piper <ne...@adelaide.edu.au> on 2002/06/17 09:08:10 UTC

Performance - Changing over to Tomcat from Weblogic

Hi,

I'm finding it really hard to find performance data on Tomcat and
various other web servers in an accessible format - (conspiracy by
marketing depts?)

We run a large courseware product serving a universities online
education needs via the middleware product blackboard. In version 6
Blackboard
are considering switching from using Web logic as their supported server
to Tomcat.

We have the following statistics for a typical month:

Average successful requests per day: 330,647
Average successful requests for pages per day: 114,235
Average data transferred per day: 1.706 gigabytes

At peak times we can expect a peak rate of around 100 page requests per
second on various days. (300 file requests)

The hardware in use is a 2 tier solution, an app server with Blackboard
and a database server. The app server is a SunOS 5.7 sparc
SUNW,Ultra-80. Unfortunately I don't have much performance data at the
moment on how much memory on average is in use.

Will this changeover adversely affect our performance to a large degree
? Should we upgrade hardware infrastructure (Load balancing?),  Has
anyone else tested at this magnitude of data and found tomcat to be
adequate ?

// Neil Piper

--
Neil Piper

Information Technology Services
Level 7, 10 Pulteney St
Adelaide University SA 5005
neil.piper@adelaide.edu.au

Re: Performance - Changing over to Tomcat from Weblogic

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
I don't think tomcat can outperform weblogic, but apache with tomcat
should easily beat weblogic. (Unless all your requests are jsp or
servlet requests) We got rid of weblogic and went to tomcat because
weblogic had tons of features we didn't need. And for the features we
needed - its implementation was "sketchy". (Their interpretation of the
Servlet API/JSP Spec and tomcat's didn't quite match. Causing us to fix
many, many pages) Weblogic was unstable for us, had bugs which shouldn't
have existed, and took forever to prove. Because of its instability in
our environment, it needed restarting "fairly often" - and its startup
time takes over a minute (compared to tomcat's almost instanteneous
startup). Clustering/load balancing was painful because of the way the
site was originally coded. When we switched to Tomcat - we saw some
minor issues - which we were able to easily track down via google and in
one case, we figured out what was going wrong via the looking at the
source code.

Sorry for the vent - I'm sure weblogic is a fine product - but not for
what my team was doing.

That being said - tomcat with apache is hardly making a dent in our
webserver's processor usage compared to weblogic. The site I am talking
about spikes to over 100 requests a second (including images) and serves
well over 150,000 page requests per day. We run the site on 2 webservers
managed by a round robin loadbalancer.

But, if I were you - I would consider getting second box and put a load
balancer in front. Apache and tomcat would reside on both boxes and if
one hiccups/dies - the load balancer does the failover to have traffic
only hit one box. Apache would need configured to know about 2 tomcat
instances (one on itself - and the one on the other box) so it knows how
to route existing sessions.

-Tim