Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Felipe Tonioli <to...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/28 16:24:19 UTC

When and Why go to 3.0

Hi all,

Maybe looks like a easy question, but isn't...

I have a Small traffic of messages, around 350 messages per day with
an average of  130 of that are spam... my big "problem" is the time
out, what is a problem of my machine... i think that i stop around 95%
of spam, and 3% of that 5% messages that arent  stopped are by time
out problems...

Why should I upgrade to 3.0, Will I get any benefit ? last time i
tried to upgrade, in RC2 i have a lot of trouble ... what should
determine an upgrade ?

--
Felipe Tonioli

Re: When and Why go to 3.0

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 10:24 AM 9/28/2004, Felipe Tonioli wrote:
>Maybe looks like a easy question, but isn't...
>
>I have a Small traffic of messages, around 350 messages per day with
>an average of  130 of that are spam... my big "problem" is the time
>out, what is a problem of my machine... i think that i stop around 95%
>of spam, and 3% of that 5% messages that arent  stopped are by time
>out problems...

Are you using MailScanner? If so, disable opportunistic bayes expiry in
your local.cf, and enable MailScanner's "Rebuild Bayes" option in
MailScanner.conf. This should significantly reduce timeout problems.

/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf:
         #disable auto-expire, it messes with MailScanner
         bayes_auto_expire 0

/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
         #get MS to rebuild (aka journal sync and check for expire) 4 times
a day
         Rebuild Bayes Every = 21600

>Why should I upgrade to 3.0, Will I get any benefit ? last time i
>tried to upgrade, in RC2 i have a lot of trouble ... what should
>determine an upgrade ?

If you're not having significant problems, I'd not worry much. However, SA
3.0 has a hash-based bayes DB which is faster and consumes less memory.