Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Gabor Somogyi <ga...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/14 12:57:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Stale PR action for flink and flink-kubernetes-operator repos

Hi All,

As I see there is no action for stale PRs for flink and
flink-kubernetes-operator repos however almost 1k PRs are open.

I would like to suggest to add new stale PR action based on the following
github plugin:
https://github.com/marketplace/actions/close-stale-issues

I think the default values for the plugin looks sufficient to our needs:
* Add a label "Stale" on pull requests after 60 days of inactivity and
comment on them
* Close the stale pull requests after 7 days of inactivity
* If an update/comment occur on stale issues or pull requests, the stale
label will be removed and the timer will restart

A playground repo is created to test the feature here:
https://github.com/gaborgsomogyi/stale-test-repo

Waiting on opinions/suggestions to make our PR queue manageable.

Thanks in advance!

BR,

Re: [DISCUSS] Stale PR action for flink and flink-kubernetes-operator repos

Posted by Konstantin Knauf <kn...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

thanks for starting this discussion. I think, the flink-kubernetes and
flink repository are too different (age, size) to draw conclusions from
another. On a first thought, I am not a fan of having different processes
for different repositories inside the project.

The discussion reminds me of the discussion on the flink-jira-bot, which
does something similar as suggested for PRs, but on Jira tickets and with
more relaxed rules.

I am personally unsure what's the best way forward. On the one hand, 1000
Open PRs is daunting both for reviewers and people who open new PRs +
realistically 90% or so will never be merged at this point, because they
are too old and stale. So, letting a bot clean this up, would be honest and
could get us into a situation where Committers are motivated to try to keep
the number low again. On the other hand, closing valid PRs after 60 days
just because no one had time to review it might be unnecessarily
harsh. @Chesnay
Schepler <ch...@apache.org> What were other reasons for not doing this in
the past?

Cheers,

Konstantin

https://twitter.com/snntrable
https://github.com/knaufk

Re: [DISCUSS] Stale PR action for flink and flink-kubernetes-operator repos

Posted by Márton Balassi <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi gents,

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.