Posted to dev@baremaps.apache.org by jm...@apache.org on 2023/03/02 07:46:12 UTC

Podling Baremaps Report Reminder - March 2023

Dear podling,

This email was sent by an automated system on behalf of the Apache
Incubator PMC. It is an initial reminder to give you plenty of time to
prepare your quarterly board report.

The board meeting is scheduled for Wed, 15 March 2023.
The report for your podling will form a part of the Incubator PMC
report. The Incubator PMC requires your report to be submitted 2 weeks
before the board meeting, to allow sufficient time for review and
submission (Wed, March 01).

Please submit your report with sufficient time to allow the Incubator
PMC, and subsequently board members to review and digest. Again, the
very latest you should submit your report is 2 weeks prior to the board
meeting.

Candidate names should not be made public before people are actually
elected, so please do not include the names of potential committers or
PPMC members in your report.

Thanks,

The Apache Incubator PMC

Submitting your Report

----------------------

Your report should contain the following:

*   Your project name
*   A brief description of your project, which assumes no knowledge of
    the project or necessarily of its field
*   A list of the three most important issues to address in the move
    towards graduation.
*   Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be
    aware of
*   How has the community developed since the last report
*   How has the project developed since the last report.
*   How does the podling rate their own maturity.

This should be appended to the Incubator Wiki page at:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/March2023

Note: This is manually populated. You may need to wait a little before
this page is created from a template.

Note: The format of the report has changed to use markdown.

Mentors
-------

Mentors should review reports for their project(s) and sign them off on
the Incubator wiki page. Signing off reports shows that you are
following the project - projects that are not signed may raise alarms
for the Incubator PMC.

Incubator PMC

Re: Podling Baremaps Report Reminder - March 2023

Posted by Bertil Chapuis <bc...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I think the idea of pausing commits on main during the release process and creating a branch for the release is good. To prevent the hash to change, I think we should use the final version number in the pom.xml file. For instance, we may have 0.7.1 in the pom and name the corresponding tag v0.7.1-rc1.

I will summarise try to summarise this process in a README file and launch the release process, so we have a first release before the next report.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.

Posted by Bertil Chapuis <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
In the past with Heron, I created release candidates as tags off of main
and marked them as a pre-release.

The tag name would be something like:

heron-0.20.5-incubating-rc1

Then we would do a vote etc.  Once the vote passed or failed the tags
remained In the repo.

Not saying it must be done this way.  This is part of the way, in my
experience, I managed to get release candidates to pass voting on dev@ and
general@

On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 6:59 AM Bertil Chapuis <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, so the process would be to make a release candidate and then to ask
> the mentors to vote on the mailing-list. Is that right?
>
> Can the release candidate be in a branch, so that we can remove it once
> the vote passes and the final release is published?
>

> > On 3 Mar 2023, at 13:54, Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> wrote:
> >
> > We still need to have mentors vote on the release even if we have the WIP
> > disclaimer.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 6:50 AM Bertil Chapuis <bc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Everyone,
> >>
> >> Would someone (maybe Andrea or James) be interested to write the next
> >> report? I think it is a good idea if we start rotating this task.
> >>
> >> Since the last report, we released a new version of the web site and we
> >> may still be able to drop a first incubating release with a
> DISCLAIMER-WIP
> >> file. I don’t think we have to vote for this kind of release, but maybe
> one
> >> of our mentors may clarify the process.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>
> >> Bertil

> be

> >> --
> > Sent from A Mobile Device
>
> --
Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: Podling Baremaps Report Reminder - March 2023

Posted by Bertil Chapuis <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
> [...]

> >    towards graduation.
> > *   Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be
> >    aware of
> > *   How has the community developed since the last report
> > *   How has the project developed since the last report.
> > *   How does the podling rate their own maturity.
> >
> > This should be appended to the Incubator Wiki page at:
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/March2023
> >
> > Note: This is manually populated. You may need to wait a little before
> > this page is created from a template.
> >
> > Note: The format of the report has changed to use markdown.
> >
> > Mentors
> > -------
> >
> > Mentors should review reports for their project(s) and sign them off on
> > the Incubator wiki page. Signing off reports shows that you are
> > following the project - projects that are not signed may raise alarms

Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: Podling Baremaps Report Reminder - March 2023

Posted by Bertil Chapuis <bc...@gmail.com>.
Hello Everyone,