Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David Baron <d_...@012.net.il> on 2006/05/14 15:01:20 UTC

Even More Sa-update Problems

I have this working fine. However, once that ....03000100001 directory exists,
all my custom rules (i.e. bayes, regex tests, etc) are no longer working and
most all spams get through!

Took it off once again. Something needs be modified before this can be used.

Re: Even More Sa-update Problems

Posted by David Baron <d_...@012.net.il>.

> > > Your custom rules are all located in /etc/mail/spamassassin and not
> > > /usr/share/spamassassin, correct?
> >
> > Yes. These are in /etc/mail/spamassassim/local.cf. There is
> > an sa-update-keys directory there as well which is quite privileged.
>
> In that case there's no reason the custom rules would be disabled or
> ignored. The sa-update directory overrides /usr/share/spamassassin, but
> definitely not /etc/mail/spamassassin.

It SHOULDN'T, it would seem but there are circumstances when it definitely
does. One is an empty 3.001001 directory. Maybe there should be a symlink
here to the /etc/mail/spamassassin set?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
You tell 'em Gambler, You've got winning ways.

Re: Even More Sa-update Problems

Posted by David Baron <d_...@012.net.il>.
On Sunday 14 May 2006 20:15, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> > I have this working fine. However, once that ....03000100001 directory
> > exists, all my custom rules (i.e. bayes, regex tests, etc) are no longer
> > working and most all spams get through!
>
> Your custom rules are all located in /etc/mail/spamassassin and not
> /usr/share/spamassassin, correct?

Yes. These are in /etc/mail/spamassassim/local.cf. There is
an sa-update-keys directory there as well which is quite privileged.

The /usr/share/spamassassin contains all the "standard" rule sets.

Re: Even More Sa-update Problems

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 04:01:20PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> I have this working fine. However, once that ....03000100001 directory exists,
> all my custom rules (i.e. bayes, regex tests, etc) are no longer working and
> most all spams get through!

Your custom rules are all located in /etc/mail/spamassassin and not
/usr/share/spamassassin, correct?

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
You tell 'em Banana, You've been skinned.

Re: Even More Sa-update Problems

Posted by Andrew <an...@arda.homeunix.net>.
David Baron wrote:

> On Sunday 14 May 2006 21:24, Andrew wrote:
>
>>>I have this working fine. However, once that ....03000100001 directory
>>>exists, all my custom rules (i.e. bayes, regex tests, etc) are no longer
>>>working and most all spams get through!
>>>
>>>Took it off once again. Something needs be modified before this can be
>>>used.
>>
>>I just set up sa-update myself. I've downloaded the latest ruleset from
>>updates.spamassassin.org and restarted spamd. I don't seem to be having
>>the problem you describe, though. I have the Baysian filter on and some
>>SARE rulesets in /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin and I'm still seeing
>>hits with them. Here are the options I use when I start spamd.
>>
>>spamd --siteconfigpath=/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin
>>--pidfile=/var/run/spamd.pid
>

> OK. There is no siteconfigpath in /etc/init.d/spamassassin nor
> in /etc/default/spamassassin which gives this is $OPTIONS. It would be easy
> enough to try. Put this in which of these files?

Browsing through the Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf man page, I couldn't find
a configuration file parameter equivalent to the --siteconfigpath
command line option for spamd. I'd put it in your
/etc/init.d/spamassassin startup script.

>>Before I set up sa-update, I also had the --configpath option set to
>>/usr/local/share/spamassassin. I had to take this out otherwise spamd
>>wouldn't find the rulesets in /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001/
>

> This is probably the default. Now it looks first in the version
> set /var/lib ..... 3.001001/, Does the siteconfigpath override or add to this
> (most probably adds or should) ? Should there be a multiple siteconfigpath?
> Symlinks to various directories from the ...3.001001?

Here is what appears to be happening on my system.

1. Because I don't have configpath set, spamd is looking in
/var/lib/spamassassin for rulesets.

2. Because it finds the /var/lib/spamassassin directory, it doesn't
check /usr/local/share/spamassassin where the rulesets distributed with
SpamAssassin reside.

3. Because I have set siteconfigpath, spamd loads extra rulesets and
configuration info from /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin.

In my case, what spamd finds in siteconfigpath is definitely used in
addition to what it finds in /var/lib/spamassassin.

I've never tried specifying more than one siteconfigpath. My gut feeling
is that it won't work. I can't think of a reason why I would need more
than one.

Andrew

Re: Even More Sa-update Problems

Posted by David Baron <d_...@012.net.il>.

Posted by Andrew <an...@arda.homeunix.net>.
David Baron wrote:
> I have this working fine. However, once that ....03000100001 directory exists,
> all my custom rules (i.e. bayes, regex tests, etc) are no longer working and
> most all spams get through!
>
> Took it off once again. Something needs be modified before this can be used.

I just set up sa-update myself. I've downloaded the latest ruleset from
updates.spamassassin.org and restarted spamd. I don't seem to be having
the problem you describe, though. I have the Baysian filter on and some
SARE rulesets in /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin and I'm still seeing
hits with them. Here are the options I use when I start spamd.

spamd --siteconfigpath=/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin
--pidfile=/var/run/spamd.pid

Before I set up sa-update, I also had the --configpath option set to
/usr/local/share/spamassassin. I had to take this out otherwise spamd
wouldn't find the rulesets in /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001/

I'm using SpamAssassin 3.1.1 on FreeBSD by the way.

Andrew