Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Sh...@lotus.com on 2001/10/19 21:21:12 UTC

Xalan build, testing updates

Given that Xalan has such a broad following, we're trying to be a bit more
rigorous about testing and planning for our next release.

- Use the Smoketest! The nightly GUMP runs the Xalan smoketest; if it
fails, a note is sent to the list.  Developers should always run the
smoketest before checking in, and if you get any fails, you should either
fix them immediately or post bugzilla bugs noting them.
  update xml-xalan/java
  update xml-xalan/test
  cd xml-xalan/java
  build jar smoketest
  (results in xml-xalan/test/smoketest)

- Along those lines, I hope to add more known-good tests to the default
smoketest target.  I'm hoping to add parts of the tests/extensions
directory tree, as well as some larger production test-level stylesheet
tests.  These will either be hosted in the tests/contrib directory or in a
new directory, perhaps called tests/smoke.  Specific suggestions welcomed.

- We're hoping to get a 2_2_D12 build out next week, which should be
considered a 'release candidate' for what we'd like to put out as a 2.2
final release.  For the next few weeks we'd like to stabilize our build and
really focus on tracking which specific changes we can safely make for a
2.2 release.  A goal is to have our 2.2 final release be a stable and
useful release for general use, and to get most production environments to
consider upgrading to it.

- The newer xsltc/translet work will still be ongoing; we'll work with the
main xsltc committers to see what state they expect the translet portion of
the product will be in the next few weeks.  I would propose that we focus
on getting xsltc supporting at least the TrAX / javax.xml.transform and
...stream packages for something like beta-level use.  This will allow
users to quickly prototype switching between xalan 'mode' and xsltc 'mode'
easily without API changes in existing applications.  Obviously some
portions of the TrAX interfaces may not be fully ready yet, and we know
xsltc doesn't handle some of our conf stylesheets yet, as you can see by
the many Bugzilla bugs being opened and fixed regularly!
So... stay tuned for comments from the xsltc folks on thier status.

- Shane
<with a big embarassed grin about my two compile errors earlier this
week.../>