Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com> on 2004/02/28 05:14:05 UTC

Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/eventcache/java/org/apache/ cocoon/caching/impl StoreEventRegistryImpl.java DefaultEventRegistryImpl. java

Ralph Goers wrote:

>Geoff,
>
>>>From what I can see, it looks like the eventcache is just what I need.  We
>have data in LDAP that is converted by generators into XML. I only want to
>do that when the data in LDAP changes. We manage that by having the wrapper
>around LDAP publish to a JMS topic when changes are made and the wrapper
>also listens.  I have a Cocoon component that manages our access to LDAP via
>the wrapper and it listens for these events.  I envision having my component
>generate the events that invalidate the cache.

Really your component would translate the JMS messages to the Event and
handle the contact with the EventCacheImpl.  Depending on the complexity
of that translation, you could be able to use the JMSEventListener
already in the jms block as is.  Otherwise, it's pretty simple to
implement fresh.

>Two questions.
>1. Is eventcache stable enough for me to use or will it be undergoing
>radical changes?

That's a good question.  It's still marked alpha/stable/whatever but
that is more by inaction than purposeful decision (at least on my
part).  Of course it's up to the larger community but it's been mostly
Unico and myself that have worked on it.  Practically, I'd feel more
comfortable having heard from more people who have used it before
locking it down - so your use could contribute to its stability.

Having said that, it's a simple API and shouldn't need much tweaking.
In fact, the part of the API you would rely on is two _very_ simple
interfaces (Event and EventAware).  The only thing I ever imagined
affecting that is a feature I envisioned originally ("wildcard" events)
but which never came to pass.  I have since wondered whether they would
be all that useful and now feel they could probably be implemented in a
back-compatible way anyway.  Originally I was questioning the use of Map
based hash lookup for events because that would (probably) not support
wildcards.

Maybe we should consider marking the block "stable"?

>2. From the vague description I have given does this sound like a "proper"
>usage of eventcache?

Yes, it sounds spot on.

Geoff