Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2020/07/21 12:33:20 UTC

JAX-RPC and Tomcat 10

All,

JAX-RPC has been removed in Jakarta EE 9.

Implementations are free to continue supporting it if they wish.

My preference would be to remove JAX-RPS support in Tomcat 10.

I am working on this at the moment and am wondering how to handle the
JAX-RPC elements we can't entirely remove.

There is a chain of references from web-app_5_0.xsd to
jakartaee_web_services_client_2_0.xsd which still has a number of
JAX-RPC specific attributes defined for "service-ref":

- jaxrpc-mapping-file
- handler
- handler-chains

(a double check I have identified all the JAX-RPC specific attributes
would be appreciated)

This appears to be a consequence of the same element being used for
JAX-RPC and JAX-WS.

Assuming there is consensus to remove JAX-RPC support then the question
arises what do we do if we observe one of the JAX-RPC specific
attributes above? Possible options include:

a) Ignore it and carry on
b) Log a warning but otherwise ignore it and carry on
c) Log an error and fail the deployment
d) Something else

I'm currently leaning towards option c.

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: JAX-RPC and Tomcat 10

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/07/2020 14:44, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> Yes, was thinking to tomee in particular since it does not use tomcat as
> a lib but really as the container so if the container fails then it can
> become hard if not "disabl-able" somehow (at least with subclassing or
> something programmatic).

I don't think I am going to pursue this at this time. The benefit is
minimal and the chances it breaks something or makes things difficult
for TomEE is high.

I may come back to this in the future.

Mark

Re: JAX-RPC and Tomcat 10