Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Fernando Padilla <fe...@interdimensions.com> on 2002/05/01 05:37:47 UTC

Code Question

Hello.

I'm looking over the code and found that the Kernel class contains a copy
of the org.apache.xindice.xml.TextWriter class; the comment along with the
copy says:

"TextWriter takes a Document, DocumentFragment, or Element and streams it
as text to an output source (or a String) -- Stolen from
org.apache.xindice.xml"

I do not believe that it's being used; could anyone tell me the reasoning
why the copy is there?  Attached is a patch to simply remove the
Kernel.TextWriter class from Kernel.

Fernando Padilla

Re: Code Question

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@xmldatabases.org>.
Hi Fernando,

Welcome back, we can definitely use the help. For patches just send them
to the list, after a few we can look at getting you commit.

On Thursday, May 2, 2002, at 11:51 AM, Fernando Padilla wrote:

> Thank you for the response :)
>
> I was briefly involved with dbXML last year ( you can see me in the
> contributors list :) and I'm really charged up to get involved with
> Xindice.  If there is a preferred way for me to submit patches, and get
> into the ranks, please let me know. :)
>
> Fernando Padilla
>

> ps - I see you're involved with an XQuery Engine xqrl.com.  How is that
> proceeding? Do you see it easily being an XMLDB service plug-in to
> Xindice?
>

> On Wed, 1 May 2002, Tom Bradford wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, April 30, 2002, at 08:37  PM, Fernando Padilla wrote:
>>> I'm looking over the code and found that the Kernel class contains a
>>> copy
>>> of the org.apache.xindice.xml.TextWriter class; the comment along with
>>> the
>>> copy says:
>>>
>>> "TextWriter takes a Document, DocumentFragment, or Element and streams
>>> it
>>> as text to an output source (or a String) -- Stolen from
>>> org.apache.xindice.xml"
>>>
>>> I do not believe that it's being used; could anyone tell me the
>>> reasoning
>>> why the copy is there?  Attached is a patch to simply remove the
>>> Kernel.TextWriter class from Kernel.
>>
>> This goes back to when there were two separate projects, Juggernaut and
>> dbXML.  Juggernaut needed *a* serializer to write its configuration, but
>> not necessarily dbXML's, and dbXML required Juggernaut to build, so the
>> class was copied to allow Juggernaut to build.  When the code bases
>> merged to form Xindice, this was no longer necessary, so that inner
>> class is actually an unnecessary vestige.
>>
>> --
>> Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
>> Architect - XQRL (XQuery Engine) - http://www.xqrl.com
>> Apache Xindice (XML Database) - http://xml.apache.org/xindice