Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Sagar Pidaparthi <Sa...@chordiant.com> on 2005/05/12 19:24:26 UTC

Document Vs RPC

Hi,

I know that the world is moving towards Document style.  However, does
anybody have any idea of what percentage of web services currently
available are in each style?  (Any informed guesses would be fine)

Is there any use of for RPC at all given this general trend towards Doc
Literal?

What was the point of developing RPC as default style, if it was never
interoperable?  (I know that this is going too far!)

How were popular services like Amazon or Google implemented?

Regards

Sagar

Re: Document Vs RPC

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Lots of people still use rpc/encoded. Most of the scripting languages
don't support doc/literal very well.

When SOAP 1.1 was first published (April 2000), XML Schema was not yet
a final spec, so the SOAP spec authors had to define their own typing
system -- SOAP encoding. Also, initially, the spec authors were trying
to build an RPC system. I know that Don Box deeply regrets inventing
SOAP encoding, but such is life.

Anne