Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rory O'Donnell <ro...@oracle.com> on 2019/12/14 16:48:10 UTC

JDK 14 enters Rampdown Phase One

Hi Mark,

*Per the JDK 14 schedule , we are now in Rampdown Phase One*

*Please advise if you have found any issues while testing the latest
Early Access build.
*

  * Schedule for JDK 14
      o *2019/12/12 Rampdown Phase One*
      o 2020/01/16 Rampdown Phase Two
      o 2020/02/06 Initial Release Candidate
      o 2020/02/20 Final Release Candidate
      o 2020/03/17 General Availability

  * The overall feature set is frozen.
      o No further JEPs will be targeted to this release
      o For more details , see Mark Reinhold's email to jdk-dev mailing
        list [1]

  * Features included in JDK 14:.
      o JEP 305: Pattern Matching for instanceof (Preview)
        <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/305>
      o JEP 343: Packaging Tool (Incubator)
        <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/343>
      o JEP 345: NUMA-Aware Memory Allocation for G1
        <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/345>
      o JEP 349: JFR Event Streaming <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/349>
      o JEP 352: Non-Volatile Mapped Byte Buffers
        <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/352>
      o JEP 358: Helpful NullPointerExceptions
        <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/358>
      o JEP 359: Records (Preview) <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/359>
        JEP 359: Records (Preview) <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/359>
      o JEP 361: Switch Expressions (Standard)
        <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/361>
      o JEP 362: Deprecate the Solaris and SPARC Ports
        <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/362>
      o JEP 363: Remove the Concurrent Mark Sweep Garbage Collector
        <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/363>
      o JEP 364: ZGC on macOS <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/364>
      o JEP 365 ZGC on Windows <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/365>
      o JEP 366: Deprecate ParallelScavenge  SerialOld GC Combination
        <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/366>
      o JEP 367: Remove the Pack200 Tools and API
        <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/367>
      o JEP 368: Text Blocks (Second Preview)
        <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/368>
      o JEP 370: Foreign-Memory Access API (Incubator)
        <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/370>

*JDK 14 **Early Access build 27 **is available**at : - jdk.java.net/14/*

  * Release notes
      o https://jdk.java.net/14/release-notes
  * Recent fixes that might be of interest
      o Build 27:
          + JDK-8212780: Packaging Tool Implementation
          + JDK-8234370: Implementation of JEP 362: Deprecate the
            Solaris and SPARC Ports
          + JDK-8190492: Remove SSLv2Hello and SSLv3 from default
            enabled TLS protocols
          + JDK-8214481: freetype path does not disable TrueType hinting
            with AA+FM hints
          + JDK-8234076: JVM crashes on Windows 10 using --module=NAME
          + JDK-8222756: Plural support in CompactNumberFormat
          + JDK-8234211: allow discoverable javac plugins to be invoked
            by default
      o Build 26:
          + JDK-8233223: Add Amazon Root CA certificates
          + JDK-8235263: Revert TLS 1.3 change that wrapped IOExceptions
          + JDK-8234893: ARM32: build failure after JDK-8234387

Rgds, Rory

[1]
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2019-December/003795.html

--
Rgds, Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager

Re: JDK 14 enters Rampdown Phase One

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 19/12/2019 11:23, Rory O'Donnell wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On 16/12/2019 16:10, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 14/12/2019 16:48, Rory O'Donnell wrote:
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> *Per the JDK 14 schedule , we are now in Rampdown Phase One*
>>>
>>> *Please advise if you have found any issues while testing the latest
>>> Early Access build.
>> Rory,
>>
>> The addition of java.lang.Record triggered as unit test failure (as it
>> is meant to) and we have updated the EL optimisation code that depends
>> on knowing the names of all the classes in the java.lang package to take
>> account of this new class. The tests are passing again.
>>
>> However, the tests were run without enabling preview features. With that
>> in mind should the Record class have been returned when enumerating the
>> classes via ModuleReader.list() ?
> ModuleReader::list is intended to list all resources in a module, this
> includes all class files and non-class files.
> So not much else to say on this because enumerating the contents of a
> module is completely independent on
> whether preview features are enabled or not.
>
> I hope that helps ?

It does. Thanks Rory.

Mark

Re: JDK 14 enters Rampdown Phase One

Posted by Rory O'Donnell <ro...@oracle.com>.
Hi Mark,

On 16/12/2019 16:10, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 14/12/2019 16:48, Rory O'Donnell wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> *Per the JDK 14 schedule , we are now in Rampdown Phase One*
>>
>> *Please advise if you have found any issues while testing the latest
>> Early Access build.
> Rory,
>
> The addition of java.lang.Record triggered as unit test failure (as it
> is meant to) and we have updated the EL optimisation code that depends
> on knowing the names of all the classes in the java.lang package to take
> account of this new class. The tests are passing again.
>
> However, the tests were run without enabling preview features. With that
> in mind should the Record class have been returned when enumerating the
> classes via ModuleReader.list() ?
ModuleReader::list is intended to list all resources in a module, this
includes all class files and non-class files.
So not much else to say on this because enumerating the contents of a
module is completely independent on
whether preview features are enabled or not.

I hope that helps ?

> The relevant source code is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/master/test/javax/el/TestImportHandlerStandardPackages.java#L146
>
> No other test failures were observed when building an running the full
> test suite with EA27.
>
> Passes a basic smoke test (WebSocket snake game over TLS).
>
> We do have a couple of unresolved bugs open at the moment:
>
> - https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8234808
> - https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8233619
>
> I'm currently working with Xuelei Fan on JDK-8233619.

Thanks for the list of open issues , we are monitoring.

Rgds,Rory

Posted by Rory O'Donnell <ro...@oracle.com>.
Hi Mark,

Sorry I was out of the office, I'll look into it.

Rgds,Rory

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.