Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Colin Crist <co...@messageforge.org> on 2006/09/20 16:19:18 UTC

[management] QPID administration GUI

Hi,

I was thinking of some administration Swing components for QPID. To
avoid close coupling to Hermes I was wondering if there is any appetite
on your side for hosting some Swing stuff to administer and monitor QPID
in your svn.

I was thinking of:

* A tree of brokers with their queues, exchanges, users and so on.
* Configuration dialogs. EditExchangeDialog, EditUserDialog,
AddNewBroker etc.
* DAO layer for configuration data that I could implement for Hermes and
others could implement for whatever other container hosts them - e.g. if
a webapp is created to do similar stuff.
* A collection of Swing actions, CreateNewExchangeAction,
EditExchangeAction, CreateNewUserAction, AddNewBrokerAction and so on.

This is quite a lot of work and so although happy to help out on some of
the codeing I would not be able to do this all myself and need some help
on your side.

Anyone interested? Do you have views on whether Swing is good for you or
do you prefer the SWT/Eclipse or webapp route?

Regards,

Colin.
http://hermesjms.com

Re: [management] QPID administration GUI

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
I would +1 to create a place for such extensions in our svn as long as
it all
meets the Apache license practices.

Carl.

Posted by Colin Crist <co...@hermesjms.com>.
Hi Bhupendra,

Yes, I am interested to see if there are any opportunites to share code and
work.

I've gone no futher than a few sketches of how a GUI may look on paper. It
seems like you're more focused on eclipse which may limit any re-use which
is a shame but I understand your focus. I've not much SWT/Eclipse experience
- little more than attempting a tree that mirrors what you see in Hermes
with JMS sessions/queues/topics.

I've had many conversations suggesting Hermes should use Eclipse RCP over
the past couple of years and I've resisted mainly due to the migration costs
(i.e. time, I don't have much of it). On the technical side webstart is
often used with Hermes and I'm rather fond of it too as it fixes the thick
client deployment problem and is underused IMO.

On your implementation comments of using an external JMX implementation, I'd
definitely consider Spring to bootstrap JMX, it really is a doddle to get
working and you don't need to worry about the fiddly JMX details of
MBeanInfos and so on, just provide an interface to the Spring assemlber and
off you go. Very nice.

There is also the issue of a JMX provider that uses AMQP directly of course.

Regards,

Colin.
http://hermesjms.com

Posted by bh...@jpmorgan.com.
[...]

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Re: [management] QPID administration GUI

Posted by ro...@jpmorgan.com.