Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Eranda Sooriyabandara <07...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/24 06:28:02 UTC

Need help for starting on Cassendra

Hi all,
I am Eranda Sooriyabandara of University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am
interested in starting on this project as well as apply GSoC 2011, if you
willing to apply for it. I am interested in learning database concepts and I
have applied some patches for Apache Derby previously. Since this is a new
approach as a database which used by facebook and twitter I am very much
interested in learning how the things working inside Cassendra, especially
big table and dynamo concepts which is bit new to me. If you help me to
start,

Where can I start
The documents I can prefer
Any issue to solve while learning how things work

on this it would be great and highly appreciated.

thanks
Eranda

PS: I downloaded the trunk and built it successfully

Re: Need help for starting on Cassendra

Posted by Nick Telford <ni...@gmail.com>.
The wiki is generally a good start: http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/

<http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/>For background reading, the following
papers will be useful:

   - http://labs.google.com/papers/bigtable-osdi06.pdf - Google BigTable
   - http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2007/10/amazons_dynamo.html -
   Amazon Dynamo
   -
   http://www.cs.cornell.edu/projects/ladis2009/papers/lakshman-ladis2009.pdf -
   Facebook Cassandra
   - http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/papers/seda-sosp01.pdf - SEDA (a
   scalable application architecture)

These are excellent primers on the fundamentals of Cassandra's design, but
it's important to note that things have progressed a lot since these were
published, so details (in particular, the implementation described by
Facebook) has evolved significantly since then.

The SEDA paper is not a database systems paper, rather it's an application
architecture paper that describes the internal architecture used by
Cassandra.

Regards,
Nick Telford

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eranda Sooriyabandara <07...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Nick, Ellis for the details.
Eranda

Re: Need help for starting on Cassendra

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureInternals

but to understand "why" you should read the user-oriented Recommended
articles from http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArticlesAndPresentations,
some of which Nick already linked.

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Eranda Sooriyabandara
<07...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am Eranda Sooriyabandara of University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am
> interested in starting on this project as well as apply GSoC 2011, if you
> willing to apply for it. I am interested in learning database concepts and I
> have applied some patches for Apache Derby previously. Since this is a new
> approach as a database which used by facebook and twitter I am very much
> interested in learning how the things working inside Cassendra, especially
> big table and dynamo concepts which is bit new to me. If you help me to
> start,
>
> Where can I start
> The documents I can prefer
> Any issue to solve while learning how things work
>
> on this it would be great and highly appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Eranda
>
> PS: I downloaded the trunk and built it successfully

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra