Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/14 13:45:25 UTC

4.6 ReleaseNotes

I started the Lucene Release Notes for 4.6 here:

https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote46

Feel free to add / optimize. I'd appreciate if somebody from Solr Land
could start the Solr Release notes, I am not on top of the changes
there!

Thanks,

Simon

Re: 4.6 ReleaseNotes

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
fixed, thanks.

: Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:10:56 +0000
: From: Flavio Martins <xh...@gmail.com>
: To: dev@lucene.apache.org
: Subject: Re: 4.6 ReleaseNotes
:
: Found a typo FreeTextSuggeser -> FreeTextSuggester
:
: Regards,
: Flavio
:
: On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Simon Willnauer
: <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
: > I started the Lucene Release Notes for 4.6 here:
: >
: > https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote46
: >
: > Feel free to add / optimize. I'd appreciate if somebody from Solr Land
: > could start the Solr Release notes, I am not on top of the changes
: > there!
: >
: > Thanks,
: >
: > Simon
: >
: > For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
: >
:
: For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
:
:

-Hoss

Re: 4.6 ReleaseNotes

Posted by Flavio Martins <xh...@gmail.com>.

Re: 4.6 ReleaseNotes

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > The new formats are required to support field-level updates. They do not
: > improve performance in any way, only add the fieldInfosGen (SegmentInfo) and
: > dvGen (FieldInfos). I clarified in the release notes that these are required
: > to support the field-level updates. Do you think we should describe them
: > more?
:
: I think we could simply remove that bullet?  (We already have a bullet
: talking about Numeric DV updates).

I think a new default index format is definitely something significant
enough that it should always be called out in the release notes.

-Hoss

Re: 4.6 ReleaseNotes

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think it would be useful if the release notes (both core & solr) made
>> some descriptive comment about what's different in the new Lucene46Codec -
>> not just that Lucene46FieldInfosFormat and Lucene46SegmentInfosFormat are
>> new, but why/how they are different/better then the previous version.
>>
>> Are they smaller on disk? faster to write? faster to read?  what makes
>> them noteworthy?
>

> The new formats are required to support field-level updates. They do not
> improve performance in any way, only add the fieldInfosGen (SegmentInfo) and
> dvGen (FieldInfos). I clarified in the release notes that these are required
> to support the field-level updates. Do you think we should describe them
> more?

I think we could simply remove that bullet?  (We already have a bullet
talking about Numeric DV updates).

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: 4.6 ReleaseNotes

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

> I think it would be useful if the release notes (both core & solr) made
> some descriptive comment about what's different in the new Lucene46Codec -
> not just that Lucene46FieldInfosFormat and Lucene46SegmentInfosFormat are
> new, but why/how they are different/better then the previous version.
>
> Are they smaller on disk? faster to write? faster to read?  what makes
> them noteworthy?

The new formats are required to support field-level updates. They do not
improve performance in any way, only add the fieldInfosGen (SegmentInfo)
and dvGen (FieldInfos). I clarified in the release notes that these are
required to support the field-level updates. Do you think we should
describe them more?

Shai

Re: 4.6 ReleaseNotes