Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/04 19:52:51 UTC

Google Play [A]OO

Hi

I was searching about the [A]OO, found this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.tomtasche.reader

Sent via Android
Albino

RE: Google Play [A]OO

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
If I understand the Google Store page, this product predates any release from AOOi.  The code is under GPL3+ and has not been touched on GitHub for 11 months.  It is a front end to JOpenDocument (LGPL3+ since February, 2012).

I wonder, in a case like this, whether there is more downside than upside to being fussy about "Android's first OpenOffice and LibreOffice Document Reader! View your documents created using OpenOffice or LibreOffice on the go."

It may be that this is more of an ODF Document Reader than an "OpenOffice Document Reader."  My sense is that the intention to support documents created by OpenOffice or LibreOffice is well-stated.  It appears that the popular view of OpenOffice doesn't depend on awareness of ODF and it is all about product interoperability/compatibility.

I don't see any evidence of passing off as work of the OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice, or Apache OpenOffice projects.

 - Dennis

This app have been reported in the past as well as odfweb. I am not sure
how does it stand in trademark issues but I am aware this has been reported.

Re: Google Play [A]OO

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.