Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Fabrice Brazier <fa...@apalia.net> on 2013/04/04 18:38:27 UTC

reopened - "CS failed after changing vcenter password"

Hi All,

I'm using CloudStack 3.0.2. I need to update the vCenter password for every
hosts in the zone.
I tried using API updateHostPassword:
http://download.cloud.com/releases/3.0.0/api_3.0.0/root_admin/updateHostPassword.html
http://wiki.cloudstack.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14322288

Everytime the same result:
<errorcode>431</errorcode>
<cserrorcode>4490</cserrorcode>
<errortext>This operation is not supported for this hypervisor
type</errortext>

I tried to manually update the cluster_details table but the previous
password is still used (I can see the old password first letter in the
cloud-management log file after restarting cloud-management service).
Does someone know the correct process for VMware ?

Thanks,
Fabrice

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
(moved to dev@)

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 04:46:43PM +0000, Geoff Higginbottom wrote:
> Hi Fabrice,
>
> To change the Passwords for ESXi try this procedure.
>
> To change host passwords the password must be changed on both the host and in the CloudStack database.
>
> ESXi
> 1.      Connect to the vCenter server using the vSphere client.
> 2.      Navigate to Home > Management > Host Profiles
> 3.      Right-click on the host profile and select Edit Profile
> 4.      Expand 'Security Configuration' and select 'Administrator password'
> 5.      Select 'configure a fixed administrator password' and enter and confirm the new password and click OK.
> 6.      Click on the 'Hosts and Clusters' tab
> 7.      Right click on each of the clusters and select 'check compliance' in turn.
> 8.      Hold down the CTRL key and select all of the clusters and select Apply Profile.
> 9.      Review the tasks which are displayed on screen and confirm (by clicking Finish).
>

> CloudStack
> The password for a XenServer Node, KVM Node, or vSphere Node may be changed in the database. Note that all Nodes in a Cluster must have the same password. To change a Node's password:
>
> 1.      Identify all hosts in the cluster.
> 2.      Change the password on all hosts in the cluster. Now the password for the host and the password known to CloudStack will not match. Operations on the cluster will fail until the two passwords match.
> 3.      Get the list of host IDs for the host in the cluster where you are changing the password. You will need to access the database to determine these host IDs. For each hostname "h" (or vSphere cluster) that you are changing the password for, execute:
>  mysql> select id from cloud.host where name like '%h%';
> This should return a single ID. Record the set of such IDs for these hosts.
> 4.      Update the passwords for the host in the database. In this example, we change the passwords for hosts with IDs 5, 10, and 12 to "password".
> mysql> update cloud.host set password='password' where id=5 or id=10 or id=12;
>

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom

> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

Geoff,

Any chance we can get you to write admin guide content based on
information like this?  It's good stuff, and we've been discussing how
we can get more help improving the documentation.

-chip

Re: reopened - "CS failed after changing vcenter password"

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 08:49:33PM +0100, David Comerford wrote:
> Chip,
>
> Yeah probably a good idea. Throwing them on my wordpress testbed isn't the
> most sustainable idea in the world.

Excellent!

Any for any other folks on this list, we're happy to have any help you
want to provide with docs and testing.  Don't hesitate to jump onto
dev@ and mention what you'd like to help with.

Re: reopened - "CS failed after changing vcenter password"

Posted by David Comerford <da...@gmail.com>.
Chip,

Yeah probably a good idea. Throwing them on my wordpress testbed isn't the
most sustainable idea in the world.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.