Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Jeff Chan <je...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/13 05:35:03 UTC

Adding functionalities to Turbine servlet

Greetings,

I am trying to store a remote object reference
(obtained by RMI lookup) into Turbine context during
the init(), so all other servlets can retrieve the
object reference and call its APIs. It seems natural
to extend existing Turbine class, but all its methods
are declared final. It also seems a bit anonying to
copy all existing code and add my RMI parts to provide
my own Turbine servlet. Is there a cleaner way to
achieve this?

Thanks!
Guanling

Re: Adding functionalities to Turbine servlet

Posted by Alexander Banthien <al...@questech.de>.
Hi Jeff,

why don't you write a service that does exactly the job of early lookup and
storage of the reference to your remote object. Such a service can be designed to
create the reference early (i.e. on Turbine initialization) or late (i.e upon
first usage).

There is also an existing service called JNDIService but I have never used it and
I am not sure what it does especially regarding caching.

regards,
Alex

Jeff Chan wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to store a remote object reference
> (obtained by RMI lookup) into Turbine context during
> the init(), so all other servlets can retrieve the
> object reference and call its APIs. It seems natural
> to extend existing Turbine class, but all its methods
> are declared final. It also seems a bit anonying to
> copy all existing code and add my RMI parts to provide
> my own Turbine servlet. Is there a cleaner way to
> achieve this?
>
> Thanks!
> Guanling

Mit freundlichen Grüßen