Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by DevNull43 <de...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/03 01:27:54 UTC

Re: FTP transport alternatives for faster throughput

Yes throughput is an issue, and I always try to get the best performance
out of anything I have or build.

I tend to fine tune my environments with the best TCP performance,
following for example this guide: http://fasterdata.es.net/tuning.html

For instance, having Linux servers with 2.6.18+ kernel with CUBIC-TCP
congestion control, increases performance for WAN transfers without the
need to modify applications.

Aside from server tunning, I try to find out the faster way to transfer
files. Splitting huge files in small pieces and doing parallel download
already does a fine job. However I was interested in other
protocols/options.

I have found this OpenSource protocol http://udt.sourceforge.net/ which
has a Java library http://sourceforge.net/projects/udt-java/ and looks
promising. I'm currently testing it.

On the other side, you get a list of features using "FEAT" command when
you log to the ftp server. Lets say you implement the UDT protocol, so
you get a "UDT" list from FEAT.

If a client supports this feature it can use this protocol, otherwise
keeps using standard default ones. This is then not an issue.

Most commercial FTP clients tend to add new features quickly when you
provide the spec/library and this feature is spread on some servers.
This provides them a plus against competitors.

I still think having such a nice protocol in FtpServer should be a plus,
considering FTP servers are the preferred ones for data transfers.

Don't you think so? :D

Regards.