Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Mark Claassen <mc...@ocie.net> on 2006/12/14 15:39:57 UTC

SocketFactories

I am working with HttpClient 3.01.  I was examining the use of the
   org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.ProtocolSocketFactory
and
   org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.SecureProtocolSocketFactory.

It looks like these don't do anything but wrap the core java SocketFactory
and SSLSocketFactory in a way that is compatible with pre J2SE 1.4.  If
using J2SE 1.4 and above, they don't provide any additional functionality.
Is this accurate?

I am trying chase down some bugs with Java 6 and HttpClient and I want to
make sure I am understanding this correctly.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: SocketFactories

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 09:39 -0500, Mark Claassen wrote:
> I am working with HttpClient 3.01.  I was examining the use of the
>    org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.ProtocolSocketFactory
> and
>    org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.SecureProtocolSocketFactory.
>
> It looks like these don't do anything but wrap the core java SocketFactory
> and SSLSocketFactory in a way that is compatible with pre J2SE 1.4.  If
> using J2SE 1.4 and above, they don't provide any additional functionality.
> Is this accurate?

This is correct.

Oleg